Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB.NET Book Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 1, 2009
US
Hi All,

I have a limited amount of vb.net experience and am more or less trying to nose-dive into enhancing/developing corporate administrative applications with it (much is currently vb6). Can anyone recommend some good books that would be helpful for working in an ADO/SQL/Crystal-Reports environment?

It's been too long since I've read a VB.Net book, so I won't recommend anything outdated.

However, I will suggest that you do not stick with classic ADO in VB.Net. It is possible to use classic ADO in VB.Net as you did in VB6, but it's much more recommended to use ADO.Net. Also, have a look at the built-in ReportViewer control in .Net. It's built off of SQL Server Reporting Services technology, and I would choose it over Crystal Reports.

I will tell you that Francesco Balena has very well written books. I don't know what version of VB.Net you are using though.

If you choose to battle wits with the witless be prepared to lose.

[cheers]

Thanks for the replies; I should have been a bit more clear.

I will be using Visual Basic 2005.

RiverGuy: I will also be reading into ado.net which I already have a decent book for.

Hi ibanez2727

Sorry to jump into your thread but can you let me know which ADO.NET book you have that your recommend. Thanks

Bob

The book I have is called "ADO.NET and ADO Examples and Best Practices for VB Programmers" (Second Edition).

The first half of the book is all ADO for vb6 so you may not find that useful, but the second half is ADO.NET and helps with the transition.

This book is a bit old so I assume there are many better books available, but it has been a good starting point for me.

...If you are interested, right now it goes for about $5 shipped (used) on amazon.

I don't know if Francesco Balena has any books on VB2005, but he does have "Programming Visual Basic.Net 2003" which I got used off of Amazon for about 5 bucks some time back and it was in excellent condition and came in handy. His stuff is highly recommended.

Francesco Balena does have a book on VB2005.Net and it is excellent as all his other work.

If you choose to battle wits with the witless be prepared to lose.

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back