Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB.NET 2003 purchase related

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpk2006

Technical User
Apr 24, 2002
IN
Hello,

I want to purchase Visual Basic.NET for developing commercial standalone/client-server applications for small-business segment. I want to use Oracle Database 10g in future as database. My applications would be strictly database oriented with few applications for the Web.

I am puzzled as to which product should I buy which is cost-effective and sufficient for my needs. I visited Microsoft site and read short introduction of Visual Basic.NET 2003 Standard Edition. But it did not clearly define whether it is suitable for developing commercial database applications and include ASP and Web development features.

I don't want to buy complete Visual Studio.NET because I don't need languages other then VB.NET at present. Also it is quite costly.

Please let me know whether Visual Basic.NET 2003 is sufficent for all my needs. Since MSDN is not included with it, so I need to buy MSDN also.

I contacted Microsoft (India) for the same. They said that it is compulsory to buy at least 5 licenses in the begining. But I'll develop applications on 1 PC and I am the only user. So why would I need volume license?

Regards,
RK.

MS India told you wrong -- what they meant was that they will sell you 1 to 5 copies by buying direct from them. If you only want one, they will sell you one. I would talk to someone else, or order from another vendor (likely to be cheaper, anyway).

VB.NET will be able to develop applications which talk to Oracle with no problems. You will not be able to develop stored procedures, etc. within the VB.NET IDE, but I wouldn't expect it to support Oracle in that manner anyway. But you won't have any problems writing standard business-grade applications, as the Oracle namespace comes with the .NET framework v1.1

BTW: You can download a free copy of Oracle 10g from the Oracle Technology Network site, but you can't deploy production applications with it -- your customers will need to buy a real copy.

Chip H.

Chiph, thanks for your reply.

MS India also stressed me to buy MSDN subscription and 5 cal licenses with SA. They said it would give two years of free updates in full pack.

What is SA license? I need paper license for the product. Which MSDN version should I go for?

Some guys here have not registered the product because MS later force them to upgrade.

For stored procedures, I need to purchase SQL Server? And for both the products, VB.NET and SQL Server, is it better to wait for 2005 coming in November?

if you buy 1 msdn pro license you will have plenty for one developer on one machine. MSDN is the beter choice since it will contain the 2005 edition when it comes out and some other good stuff you might need.

No, you don't need to buy sql-server to make sp's, you need oracle 10g.

The standard edition is very limited. You can do everything with it that the vs pro edition can, you just will need to find some work-arounds to do it and it has no crystal reports (I don't think that's a bad thing.)

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

I just like this --> [Wiggle] [Wiggle]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back