Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB+MTS Reporting

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickThompson

Programmer
Sep 11, 2000
US
This question is in three parts, along with some additional info.

A) What 3-tier reporting tools are available for the VB+MTS environment?

I have seen that Crystal Reports 8.0 works with MTS, but only with ASP, not from a 'standard' VB window. Is there another tool that will work w/ MTS from Windows?

B) Has anyone mixed 3-tier apps w/ 2-tier reporting tools?

C) Lacking a good tool, what reporting protocols are 'BEST'?

One project I inherited uses a technique whereby the MTS component function parses a record set (from the database) into one long string, which is passed to the client and displayed in a text window. This takes a LONG time to format (manually) and get just right. What other reporting techniques are in popular use with MTS?

Thanks!

Rick Thompson [sig][/sig]

in delphi it is very easier.
at client side,you can use TClientDataSet+QuickReport to obtain same functions as C/S application!

Maybe it doesnot meet your needs!

Regards! [sig][/sig]

Thanks for your input, but I don't have the option of changing environments. The first module of 5 has already been developed (prior to my involvement in the project), so it's a solid VB-3tier system. Same questions stand....

[sig][/sig]

a workaround for a 3-tier app developed in VB with 2-tier reporting tool like Crystal Reports is to dump the needed data to an MS Access database and execute Crystal Reports from that source.. just make sure you provide a cleanup routine for the Access database to avoid wasting disk space on your drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back