Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB Impromptu Automation Failing using Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chargrams

Programmer
Aug 28, 2002
CA
Hello,

I'm getting the following error when I execute some OLE automation for impromptu using a regular user account (i.e. not Admin on the local machine), and specifically for the following line of code.

Line of code:
Set objImpRep = objimpapp.OpenReport(strRptName)

RUN-TIME error:
err.number = 61704
err.description = "Internal Application error"

It works as it should with an account that is Administrator to the local machine, and the only thing that has changed is the platform, because it worked on NT 4.0, but I can't seem to get it to work on Windows 2000 with a regular account.

Environment: Windows 2000, VB 6.0, impromptu 6.0

Can someone help me. ...Chargrams

Chargrams,

Are you running the macro under a user with Admin rights? It may be a rights issue. This would cover both the rights you are using to run the macro as well as any security settings for application usage on the install of Impromptu (All users or only selected user only).

Hope this helps,

Dave Griffin
The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ20-2863 first!

Thanks Mr. Griffin,

To answer your question the permissions I'm referring to have to deal with Win2k (i.e. NT premissions on the local machine). I have no problem with the User Classes I've created for Cognos for application usage.

For the NT permission problem I've decided to use CompatWS to resolve this.

How do i deal with both the Application usage and NT permissions without changing the NT permissions, because the former is the result of the latter. ...Chargrams

Problems like this on Win2K often occur because the file location settings are not user-specific. They are stored in the impromptu.ini file in the application directory:
drivepath:\Cognos\cer2\bin
for all users. In addition, the database definitions are stored directly in the windows directory (WinNT on NT). Most non-Admin users do not have the ability to write in some of these locations. The user MUST have the ability to write in the Impromptu data directory location (often C:\Temp, but sometimes the temp directory for the user that installed Impromptu).

Hope this helps you.

Dave Griffin

"Magic with Data"
[pc2]

Hey Griffin,

I don't know what I'd do without you. You are making me look good at work, especially with your quick response.

My peer installed it and the temp dir in the impromptu.ini file pointed to his "local settings\temp" folder in the
"documents and settings" folder which restricted users do not have access to. I changed it to C:\temp and it works fine.

But...

I might have another problem w/r/t the registry.

What keys are being modified and/or changed by the application at run time?

The reason for this question is that there are some options in cognos that u can change and I'm not sure if they affect the registry and restricted can't write to the registry. ...Chargrams

Hey Griffin,

I don't know what I'd do without you. You are making me look good at work, especially with your quick response.

My peer installed it and the temp dir in the impromptu.ini file pointed to his "local settings\temp" folder in the
"documents and settings" folder which restricted users do not have access to. I changed it to C:\temp and it works fine.

But...

I might have another problem w/r/t the registry.

What keys are being modified and/or changed by the application at run time?

The reason for this question is that there are some options in cognos that u can change and I'm not sure if they affect the registry and restricted can't write to the registry.

Thanks
Chargrams ...Chargrams

Chargrams,

I don't think users change registry keys in Impromptu at runtime. Changes can happen in the impromptu.ini, or if the user has the Admin version in cognos.ini under the Windows directory for database mappings.

Dave Griffin
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]

I get an error message when I open my catalog, saying:
"Error opening an unamed file"
and
I get a different message when I open the report, without opening the catalog saying:
"Access denied "Report Name""

so either way I'm going to hit an error and it's very annoying.

But the weird thing is that Impromptu continues to work as normal when I close the error dialog box, so I don't know what the other side-effects would be. I definitely do not have time to do full regression testing on Impromptu 6 for Win2k.

...Chargrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back