Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB Data Report Designer 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam13

Technical User
May 31, 2001
US
Hi there, I'm relatively new to working with VB and databases. I'm working on a project that is using the Data Environment and the Data Report Designer to create reports. This is my first time using these aspects of VB. I've stumbled my way through setting up some reports but I'm having trouble with a few things.

First, How do you get the report to show in a landscape format rather than portrait? Is this option even available??

My second question Is a bit more involved. Basically when I create the reports, I'm using the data environment connection to create a query of my tables using parent/child commands and SQL statements. The issue is that When my parent item has no data in the child portion then the report still creates a line item for the parent. I want to eliminate this line item and only have the report show parent data that has child data. I hope I'm being clear. I'm a bit lost on how to do this.

My third question is can the Data Report Designer be used with an ADO control? Basically I want to be able to search the database on criteria the user enters and print a report using the recordset returned by the search. Any thoughts on the best way to print such a report would be great.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Sam

I have another problem in creating reports. My report is formed by a form which select the date interval. The data in the report are okey. But... how can I put the selected date at the page header of the report?
Thank you.

Here is a sample where I am looking up specific information on a claim number that the user selects:
'requery using the selected claim number
DataEnv.cmddisputebyclaimnum (strClaimNum)
'change the data report title to display the selected
'control number
DRDisputebyClaimNum.Sections("Section4").Controls("LBLREPORTTITLE").Caption = "CLAIM NUMBER - " & strClaimNum
'show the data report
DRDisputebyClaimNum.Show vbModal

'hope that helps
'Stacey

I am trying to run a data report from VB. Instead of using the data environment, I am using an ADO recordset as my data source. I'm having trouble getting the data report to group by any of the fields in my recordset. I'm receiving the error "Report sections do not match data source". Can someone please help. Thanks.

I need to know what I need to do to get the parameters from my form to the data environment. I have the parameters set up in a SQL query to draw in dates for parameters. I have the variables public and the name of the variable is placed in the data environment under the correct parameter. I am apparently missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can some one help me urgently, I am having a very bad prob with the data report. I have a column in my recordset that is displayed correctly. But I need to show anyvalue above 100000 in red and others in blue. How to do that???
Any idea..i don't have a clue regarding this...Pls Help!!!

I am trying to build a report that is drawing data from three different tables. One table holds the majority of the fields that need reported on. The other two only hole one field a piece that I need in my report. The problem I am having is that the two extra fields that reside in these two tables are a many to one fields. i.e. I have one instance of incident_number in the first table but have multiple instances in each of the other two tables. Can anyone help me? If so I thank you in advance.

I have created a datareport using dataenvironment.

The DE contains one command to which a parameter is passed.
I have used grouping thru the command properties.

But when I access the dataenvironment i get the error 'Data provider or other service returned an E_FAIL status'

My code ==> deEsop.command1 <<parameter>>

Can anybody throw some light on this.

Is there anyway you can display only a single record in the datareport? I want to print a record that the user is loking at on a different form
Thanks

Is it possible to display my data repeatedly in columns instead of rows?

Hi,

Regarding to Data Report Environment, every time the report is shown, then any subsequent modification to the database, the report does not update itself to reflect the changes when it called again. How do you fix this kind of problem?
For example, my report name is dabreport_cust, the event routine is like this.

private sub report_cust_click()
dbreport_cust.show
end sub

Thanks

Regards
yputopia

hi yputopia
to Refresh your data report before showing it you have to refresh your connection object or you can just unload and load your data environment before showing the report.e.g.
use
Unload DEtempdb 'detempdb is ur dataenvironment name
Load detempdb

dbreport_cust.Refresh or dbreport_cust.show

Hope that will spolve your problem.

Anshu

Sidanshu is correct. Here's an example:
deDVS is my data environment, rsBattererListQuery is my recordset within the data environment that acquires the data and DRBatterer is my report.

Load deDVS
With deDVS
If .rsBattererListQuery_Grouping.State <> 0 Then .rsBattererListQuery_Grouping.Close
.BattererListQuery_Grouping
End With
DRBatterer.Refresh

DRBatterer.Show

Thanks sidanshu,

I simply added

Unload/load DEtempdb

then it worked.

yptopia

Thanks sidanshu,

I simply added

Unload/load DEtempdb

then it worked.

yputopia

hello
i am having some probs with data reports
i have to basically display items from a table.
but that table has only ID's in it .the names of the ids are in other table .Plus i am having probs in passing parameters from my form to data report
my id is tpsan@hotmail.com

san

Hi All!
I'm getting error when passing a parameter to the dataenvironment.

The parameter type is adVarChar and this is the way i'm passing my parameter

de1.com1 &quot;ex1&quot;

where de1 is the data environment and com1 is my command object. By the way command object is having a child command object. It has not got any parameters. But still i'ld like to know how to pass parameters to the child as well.

pls. do reply ASAP.

Bye

ARAVINDA SARMA M.

still now i am unable to increase the width of my report.
if i increase it computer gives me message that the reportwidth is greater than the page width.
so please send me the solution.

Hi All!

I have one parent table and three child table so i created command1 for parent table and command2 and 3 for the child table but the problem is when i retrive the structure in Data Report it says &quot;the report does not support multidimension hierarchies&quot; ... is there any possible way to create a multi dimensional on the data report?

Please reply ASAP.

Kamesenin. (master_butan@yahoo.com)

Hi, yputopia

As you mentioned, I use the following:

Unload DEtempdb
Load DEtempdb
Datareport1.show 'datareport1 is my datarport's name.

It doesn't work, any suggestion. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back