Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vb announcement script

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjbansley

Technical User
Jul 26, 2003
GB
Hi there,

I'd like to be able to provide Messages/Annoucements for when windows users login on a Windows 2000 Server network. Can someone point me in the direction of useful resources to help with this? Also does anyone know if I can purchase a bunch of useful batch/vbscripts for similar tasks.

thanks,

John

Are you interested in Overview of Logon, Logoff, Startup, and Shutdown Scripts in Windows 2000 or something else entirely?

In other words, is your question "how do I get a script to run at logon" or is it more specific as in "what's a neat way for a logon script to present announcements to users" instead?

As for script sources, there are free ones all over the web. Microsoft offers a number of them as well as tools like Scriptomatic.

There are several 3rd party Windows admin web sites devoted to the topic as well. Finding commercial offerings is probably just a link away from pages on such sites.

Yes, thanks for rephrasing my question.

"What's a neat way for a logon script to present announcements to users"?"

thanks,

MsgBox "This is a neat way to present a message to my users!",,"Important Announcement"

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Gee, I was assuming he wanted to pull dynamic announcements from a web server or something.

Hi Dilettante, You may be right but I'm interpretting the original post as coming from a scripting beginner.

JJBansley, please let us know if the above was what you were looking for or if you are looking for a more dynamic solution.

Regards,

Mark

thanks for your comments. Sorry am trying anything like dynamic annoucements, maybe 1 day :).

MsgBox "This is a neat way to present a message to my users!",,"Important Announcement"

is useful, but is this vbscript invoked by a login script.
I'd be interested to know how to create the file and how to
invoke it from login script.

thanks,

john

Mark,

thanks. Just tried your MsgBox suggestion and it works a treat. I'd like to be able to learn more about writing these types of scripts for managing user environment and automating things.

Does anyone know of any sites dealing with this kind of stuff, so I can check out similar examples.

thanks,

John

You are on one site to keep watching for starters. :)

I like DevGuru at
Also, check out
Download a copy of Scriptomatic and the Script Repository for great references. Also DL the manual for VBScript and WSH.

Regards,

Mark

Mark,

Thanks, will check these links out. They look helpful.

john

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back