Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB and Database burned onto a CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobRock

Programmer
Oct 17, 2001
US
I want to build a simple VB app and database to burn onto a CD and be able to use on
other computers. Is this complicated? I could use Access as the database but would
really prefer SQL Server - is this possible? I have not found a way to detach a single database from SQL Server to put on the CD so is there another alternative besides Access? If anyone knows or knows a better way, please email me... Thanks in advance.

There's two hurdles for you to overcome before this will work:

1. VB requires a runtime, which may not be on everyone's computer

2. SQL Server is industrial-strength and typically requires a dedicated machine. MSAccess is more like what you're trying to do. And you need to distribute some runtime files for Access, too (latest MDAC_TYP.EXE).

So, you won't be able to run the program via Autoplay (i.e. as soon as the user sticks the CD in the drive), but they will be able to run it after the user has run an installation program. VB's package & deployment wizard is OK, but Wise and/or InstallShield are much better.

Chip H.

Thanks for the reply, Chip. The machines that I will be installing the application on will most likely never have VB on them. So as long as I use Wise and/or InstallShield, it should work? I have used the P&D wizard in the past but those sound better. Could you give me more information on how to go about using them? I figured I wouldn't have much luck using SQL Server but I'm just afraid Access doesn't handle some of the code I've written in SQL Server to query the database.

Thanks...
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back