Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB 6.0 Database Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haakman

IS-IT--Management
Nov 18, 2003
US
I'm looking for a little advice on accessing large database files. I'm currently using an ADO control to access a 1.5GB Pervasive database file. As I understand the process, all of the data that I select from the db is cached into memory when the ADO connects to the db. This process is taking an extremely long time.

I've been out of the development side for a long time and am a little rusty. I've searched and searched for an alternate method, but to no avail. I'm hoping someone might know of a way to make this task a little more efficient.

Thanks in advance!

Haakman, Welcome to TT!

To get the best from this site please read FAQ222-2244

Ok, to answer your question you can start by not selecting the whole table (as in Select *), but select just the fields that you need.

Also search this site for asynchronous query or asynchronous recordset. You should find some really good replies by CCLINT.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back