Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VaultTracker Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammysploge

Technical User
Oct 14, 2004
GB
I am trying to configure Vaultracker, but I cannot see that the criteria that can be set helps very much, ideally we want to have all of the media used over the weekend from Friday through to Monday morning exported out to the mail slots in the library. The criteria options given are for media older than X number of days or by extended retention rules. What I really need is a "media used since" option i.e media written to since last friday or since X number of hours ago. Am I missing something?

Hi

Can you expand a little bit on your backup strategy?

I guess that because you are wanting to export media used between Friday - Monday that you are wanting to export 'Full' backups...is this the case?

Yes - Export Weekly and Month End Full backups

Have your tapes marked as 'Full' when the weekend backups complete and then you can tell VaultTracker to export only 'Full' tapes

I am obviously getting confused, as the criteria to export only full is defined at the Schedule Policy level and not at the Vaultracker Policy level.

If you create a VaultTracker Policy then you can select which tapes to export due to their status (ie. All, Full, Appendable etc etc).

OK I can see that you can select "Full" as the citeria in the Vaultracker policy and if the tapes are set to full upon completion of their backup then they will be exported, but surely that will then select all tapes that are full, its not specific enough!

If I carry out the export of tapes via the schedule policy -Advanced options, then yes it then exports tape that are for that specific schedule that are marked as full, which is ok.

I just cannot see the use for the vaultracker policy in terms of exporting media, importing media yes as the due back option is a bit easier to determine,i.e tapes past their retention.

Do you have examples of how you are using it?

Yep, it will export all Full tapes tied to that SP...if you want the incrementals to stay in the library then you could use an Incremetal SP.

Another simple way (if resources allow) is to do an aux copy and then let VT export the aux copy tapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back