Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vaulting problem, duplications running very long

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsept

IS-IT--Management
Jun 10, 2003
US
I run a vault of the backups everyday. Within the vault there are multiple duplications. It seems that at least one duplication every day goes inactive for long periods of time. My daily vault used to take 4-6 hours. Now one duplication will go on and on 14-16 hours, sometimes finishing successfully, other times I have to kill it because it runs into the next night's backups. There are vault logs that actually say the duplication is inactive for long periods of time.

I am using Netbackup 4.5GA with an ADIC scalar 100 robot on W2K.The master and media server are the same. I am usuing the Vault add on.

I have multiplexing on but it does not seem to have anything to do with it, nor does it seem to have to do with the size of the backup. Both Veritas and ADIC tech support have not been able to give me answers. It used to work and now it doesn't . I did replace drives with new firmware and that could be the cause but neither company know if it is or how to fix it.

Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.

You will need to check the log files - It may have a problem loading a tape that is needed. Using the vaulting option, you can specify the log files in the reports area.

I use the vaulting option and command line - I find the command line easier as I can specify everything ...
bpduplicate -cn 1 -rl 5 -sl system_full -policy your_policy_name -hoursago 64 -L duplicate_images\progress.txt -dp vault_pcac -dstunit media_server

This works great for me. When the job hangs or appears to hang - Check for available tape devices and where that tape might be.

You may also want to look at the storage unit you use for vaulting. You could set your maximum concurrent drives to use more drives and set multiplexing higher. If you have began running more backups or have backups running longer during your daily vault, your vault maybe waiting for an available drive, a backup grabs the drive during a tape change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back