Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vault and catalog 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomad1945

MIS
Oct 28, 2003
US
Hello:

I am running 6mp5, and I do have hot catalogs running.
I have 3 vault jobs that run monday, and now i am wandering do i need to set up a catalog vaut for each? it would seem over kill, and if something then happens to which hot catalog from vault to use, the latest one? I guess i had thought to have 1 catalog vault run when they all complete so it goes off site with the tapes.

thanks
scott

simply run 1 catalog after the last vault finishes

Bob Stump
VERITAS - "Ain't it the truth?"

Ditto to Bob's comment. We have a vault job which is manually executed when all scheduled vaults have completed, and any missed jobs have been vaulted. The manual vault job, makes a catalog and ejects all media from the prior vault jobs.

Ok just to be clear. I been runnig a manual after the vaults run, and sending this off site. I may have mis-read from the book, cause it was confusing, since it stated a catalog file is not enough that you need to run one
I took with in the vault.

so i can simply run the catalog manually, when vaults are done, I dont need to configure it with in the vault?
and simply off site that cat tape with the e mail I get since i am now doing hot catlogs? OR do a manual vault job with a catalog for offsite?

thanks.

Vault has the ability to perform a catalog backup as part of the profile. What we do is have a vault profile which performs a catalog backup (which is written to a volume pool - NBDB_Duplicate), and then exports the duplicated tapes and catalog tape created as part of the vault profile.

Hope this helps,
Steve

ok..
I know you can set up a catalog in the vault,

I have 3 vault jobs, that run Mondays, the can finish at vaired times, so I was thinking I just needed a catalog run after the last vault. If i set up the catalog in all 3 profiles, then only 1 would be the latest.

what I thought was running a catalog after the last vault completed, eject that, and this covers me up to date with the last completed vault. However when I read something it the manual, it sounded like this was not a good ideal.

So, I was thinking, i really only need 1 catalog run, after the last vault, however the completions of the other 2 may not always be in order. Should or can you set up another vault, with nonthing but a catalog run?
OR simply run a manual catalog as normal, and manually eject it, which covers me?

thanks

A catalog contains the backup information for all backups made prior to the catalog backup. Therefore if by making a vaulted catalog as the last activity before sending tapes offsite, you will have information about every backup and vault (backup duplication).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back