Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

variables within in-design

Status
Not open for further replies.

octane7

Technical User
Jan 20, 2008
NL
Is it possible to use variables within indesign, that refer to parts of text somewhere else in the document?
...f.i. to get the name of a chapter above each page?

Thanks for your tips and advises from the Netherlands.

Yes you can use variables to do this. Create a variable called Running Head (or something), use a paragraph style for the variable. Then choose the Chapter paragraph style that you want to appear in the heading. Insert the variable on your master page. Then create a paragraph style for your variable.

Thanks Eugene for your help and tip.

However I do not see how to combine this with my earlier posting, concerning titles of chapter and section on top of each page.

Would be most helpful if you could help me just a little bit further...

Thanks, Maarten

Basically, you have two types of variables (well 3 actually).

A variable works by inserting the text contained in a Paragraph Style.

You can choose to have it pick up either Paragraph or Character Styles. This can pick up the first, or the last style used on the page. I would choose the First style for this case.

Say in the Variable to use Heading 1 as your reference.

Go to the master page and go to Insert Variable, choose the variable you made from the list. You will now see on the Master Page the name of your variable.

Go back to a page that has the style that you choose to be used for the variable.

And it's there, it shows up in the running head.

If you need to have chapter numbers show up, you should search for all numbers (using GREP) and apply a character style to these (make the character style first, I usually just make a Character Style with no settings in it).

To find all numbers in your Headings using GREP in the

Find:
[0-9]

Change to:
(LEAVE THIS BLANK)

Find Style:
YOUR HEADING STYLE

Change Style:
YOUR CHARACTER STYLE

Then find and replace.

So you need to make a variable that now picks up this Character Style. This will be a whole new variable.

Again insert the variable on the Master page, just as you did with the previous variable.

Go to your pages and you will see the numbers are all in there. No Problems, on every page.

I think you looking for

Type>Type Variable have a play around with that. it too much for mr to type an explanation on how to do it.

It will let you set or running head as a variable <RunningHead> which will grab the Chapter Heading and populate the running head with it. So if the Chapter title changes then all the running heads will change automatically

Marcus

Hi Eugene,

I do not quite understand your explanings.
I have added a file with these items in it.
Please could you indicate what you ment in your help for me?

Thanks, Maarten

I've already explained the best I can the way the variables work. You will need to figure it out yourself. I can't do much else for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back