Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Variable no. of Fields in DTS Import File 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsmarkdavies

Programmer
May 22, 2001
GB
I am trying to write a DTS Package to import a text file. The file will always be Tab(or Comma)-delimited but the number of Fields may vary. What is the best way to create the package in order to make sure I get all the data, and also know what Fields i`ve pulled in ?. Should I just pull the whole file in and examine it in some way with T-SQL, or is there a better way perhaps with an ActiveX / VB Script Task ?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

itsmarkdavies@hotmail.com

I had the exact same situation come up. In my case there would sometimes be a middle name field and sometimes not. When you tell the DTS package what file you want to bring in it get the layout of the text file(ie. # of field) from like the first 200 rows. Thus if the middle name field was absent in the first 200 rows, I could not select that column to bring over. So what I did to take care of this was edit the incoming text file before I loaded it. I add a line at the begining of the text file with n 3 of commas(ie. ,,,,,,,,,,,). Since it was the first line in my text file I ALWAYS had a fixed # of columns to import, thus not leaving out any columns. So lets say 90% of the time your text file has 23 columns, but the other 10% of the time it can have more or less than 23 columns, append a line at the top with lets say 25 blank columns(ie.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,) than way you will never miss a column if it comes in with more than 23 in the text file. This is kinda confusing, let me know if you need clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back