Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Variable length files

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjurjovec

Programmer
Nov 27, 2000
US
I have a question regarding variable length files. I am converting a master file into 3 seperate files to use in DB2. The master file is a variable length file. The fixed length section contains customer information. Each customer can have multiple orders, depending on the number specified in the customer section of the fill:

05 NUM-ORDER PIC 99
05 ORDER-HEADER OCCURS 0 TO 99 TIMES DEPENDING ON NUM-ORDER

The problem I am having is that each order can have 0 to 25 detail lines. This would be a depending on clause, but what would the syntax look like? The field it depends on is part of the order data:

05 NUM-ORDER PIC 99
05 ORDER-HEADER OCCURS 0 TO 99 TIMES DEPENDING ON NUM-ORDER
10 ORDER-HEADER-DATA
10 ORDER-HEADER-NUM-DETAIL
10 ORDER-HEADER-DETAIL OCCURS 0 TO 25 TIMES DEPENDING ON
ORDER-HEADER-NUM-DETAIL????????

How do I declare an array inside of an array like this?
An help would be more than appreciated.

Declaring an array within an array always gives me the creeps; it quickly takes up massive amounts of memory, and referencing to each of the order detail fields with double indexes isn't very legible either.
I don't know what you want with this 2-dimensional array, but if you are planning on declaring a file description with it i would rather suggest the use of multiple record types, i.e. an order-record with order-information, and order-detail records for the detail lines. Add a field record-type to distinguish them and preferably some order-key-information, too (convenient for sorting purposes).

Good luck !

Multiple record types definately sounds like the answer to this. I am not sure if it is the case on all versions of cobol, but from what I have seen, occurs depending is invalid and not allowed within another occurs depending on.

s-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back