Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

variability in logon scripts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

grnfvr

MIS
Dec 21, 2000
US
I am in a new job and they have a nt 4 domain controller that i did not set up. We are trying to implement some basic scripting and I am getting very weird results. We have 98 and 2k clients. it seems about 25% of the time a logon script will fire when it is supposed to. I've literally sat at many differnet clients both 2k and 98 and and it runs everyother logon, then it won't run again for many more logons. It also seems more likely to run the 'fresher' the client OS installation is. however, there is no program or service pack installation after which the logon script cosistently begins failing.

I figure, if a computer is going to be totally random, more likely it is one computer behaving oddly, the server, rather than several differently configured clients.

Has anyone ever experienced these types of problems with a nt 4 domain controller implementing logon scripts?

The first thing i would have a look at: Is there only one logon server on the domain ?

If not, then check that either the logon scripts are in the netlogon share on all servers, or that you are calling the script file from the specific server where the logon scripts are held, rather than using the %logonserver% command.

I was in a similar situation before, with what i believed to be the only logon server, when i found that another department had decided to set themselves up an NT server on my network, without telling me, which prevented my logon scripts running when that server validated the logons.

I dont know if the above makes full sense, if not drop me an email, and i'll try to be a litle clearer

You're right on the money! I have beat my head over and over again trying to figure this out. There was a backup domain controller that i was not told about because they thought that a backup dc only authenticated logons if the primary dc went down. So, in there minds there was only one dc. Thanks a lot for yor help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back