Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

varchar, datetime and single quotes issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

NormRumac

Programmer
Sep 4, 2003
CA
I got a problem with an sql statement:

In a table there is a field of type varchar. That field ,called datearrival, contains human readable dates such as "March 4th 2004" (no quotes).

I want to select all items for which the number of days between datearrival and the current date is > 50.

So I try the following sql statement:

1. "select id from item where datediff(dd,datearrival,getdate())>50"

Sql Server complains about not being able to convert between from varchar to datetime. How can I correct this problem.

I tried manually entering the following statement and it happens to work:
2. "select id from item where datediff(dd,'March 4 2004',getdate())>50"

Since this worked, I thought this means i may need to append single quotes to subdescription3 in my original statement, in order to get it to work. So I tried:
3. "select id from item where datediff(dd,''''subdescription3'''',getdate())>50"

but that does not work...So I'm stuck here. Is there an easy way to solve my problem??

Try this:

Code:
select id from item where datediff(dd,Convert(datetime,datearrival),getdate())>50"

hope this helps.

VJ

Unfortunately, I get this same error message, even with your statement:

"Syntax error converting datetime from character string

My guess is that you have a row with a date that it cannot convert. You can find it by doing something like this in the QA:
Declare @PrimaryKey int, @DateDiff int
Select @PrimaryKey=YourKeyField, @DateDiff=datediff(dd,datearrival,getdate()) from YourTable
go
Select datearrival from YourTable where YourKeyField=@PrimaryKey
-Karl

Oops! Forgot you can't use go in QA. Try it without it.
-Karl

donuntman...YOU ARE A GENIUS! That was the problem.
For some of the rows, the datearrival field was not input correctly (i.e. Not in the form like 'March 4 2004'). I fixed that and now the query works!

Thanks,
--Norm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back