Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

/var/tmp being used as swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

womp

Technical User
Apr 6, 2001
US
Hello,
I have noticed that our N4000 running 11.0 started using
/var/tmp as a swap file. Why is unclear to me since we have alot of memory in the box.
Every time I try to delete one file in the /var/tmp directory
I am told that the device is busy.
When swap believes that it is getting full does it automagically use /var/tmp for swap space. Where does this get configured if anyplace?? We do not have /var/tmp in the
/etc/mnttab file

Thank you

Hey there
The command you want to use for now is "swapinfo -t", this will let you know how and what you memory is doing.

The person who originally set up the machine must have set this up as an extra place to go to should the normal amount of swap space run out, you will be able to tell this from the above command.

May I suggest that you investigate this first before you remove the entry, perhaps try and increase the actual swap space or memory, of course this will mean down time.

Best regards

jollyroger,

Thank you for the advice. I have tried it and the
TYPE is localfs and tells me nothing of what file is creating the /var/tmp files. Is there another place where I can see what file(s) are creating this dump?

Thank you
womp

Before you have to know how much swap your system is using.

Use swapinfo -tam (in megs) and look at the USED col.

Yes, I did the swapinfo -tam and I am using 1459 megs of swap
which is 74% used. I also have a second swap area created a long time ago that has 0 used

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back