Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

/var/adm/utmpx not owned by root or not mode 644 error? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mranderson22

Programmer
Apr 23, 2003
GB
I get this message when I reboot and cannot access the server. This messege appears and then when it trys to enter the console a message box appears saying incorrect logon try again. When you click on this message another one appears, I cannot telnet into the box either it kicks me out straight away. I suspect someone has chmod 777 all files in /etc directory if anyone has any advice what I can do that would be great many thanks.

I think I'd try booting from cd, then mount the / filesystem and make the appropriate changes to the permissions if that's possible. I'd also be looking for some explanation from someone as to why/how/when this was done etc. HTH.

Do a STOP-A to get to the "ok" prompt and do a boot -s.
If the system allows that, then you can cd /etc or /var
to try to fix the permissions problems.

From the console I get the messages sh: /bin/cat: not found and sh: /bin/mail: not found?? How do i solve this problem and I think as result of this am not able to telnet into my machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back