Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vanishing emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdeal4122

Technical User
Dec 19, 2014
US
I cannot figure out what is happening to emails from a certain Gmail address in a Microsoft 365 account. We have our copiers set up to use a Gmail account when using scan to email.
All of a sudden one of my users is not receiving the emails when they scan to email. All other users are so it's not the copier.
I thought maybe he accidentally had a rule set to move them to the trash. He does not have such a rule. I also thought he might have selected the block sender option, but that email address doesn't appear there either.
When I try the scan, it appears in his inbox for a few seconds and then disappears. When I do a search of all folders, the email cannot be found.
I'm thoroughly confused cause I see it come into the inbox, but within seconds it's gone and doesn't appear to be in any of his folders.

It appears that any email from a Gmail account is doing this. I tried sending him an email from 2 other Gmail accounts and they both appeared for a few seconds and then disappeared.

Any ideas?

It sound like the messages might be being spam filtered or forwarded - have you checked that the address is not on the blocked senders list or being forwarded?

It might also, be worth adding the address to the safe senders list.

Thank you for the response. I also did try adding it to the safe senders list...didn't matter. :(

After talking to the user again just now, he remembered that he made some changes to his junk mail settings a few days ago. He undid those changes and now those emails are staying in his inbox.
We believe the issue was that he checked a box to only accept email from addresses already in his contacts. The copier Gmail address was not in his contacts.
Thank goodness he remembered. I thought I was losing my mind.

It sounds like you're facing a peculiar email delivery issue for emails from Gmail accounts within your Microsoft 365 environment. Here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

1. **Check Junk and Spam Folders**: Make sure to thoroughly check the junk and spam folders in your user's email account. Sometimes, emails from certain senders can get incorrectly classified as spam.

2. **Inbox Rules**: Double-check if there are any inbox rules in place that could be automatically moving the emails from Gmail addresses to a different folder. These rules might not be immediately apparent, so review all the rules thoroughly.

3. **Clutter or Focused Inbox**: If your organization is using features like Clutter or Focused Inbox, check these folders to ensure that the emails aren't being routed there.

4. **Blocked Senders List**: Although you mentioned that the Gmail address doesn't appear in the blocked sender list, make sure to double-check this setting.

5. **Mail Forwarding or Redirect**: Check if there's any mail forwarding or redirect set up for the user's account that could be causing the emails to be delivered to a different email address.

6. **Viewing Options**: Sometimes, email clients like Outlook can be set to show only unread emails or emails from specific folders. Make sure that the viewing options are set correctly to show all emails.

7. **Message Tracking**: If your organization has access to message tracking logs, you might be able to use these logs to trace what's happening to the emails after they're delivered to the mailbox.

8. **Rules and Filters**: In addition to the inbox rules within Outlook, check if any transport rules or filters are set up at the organizational level that could be affecting these emails.

9. **Check Other Devices**: Try accessing the user's mailbox from a different device or through webmail to see if the behavior is consistent. This will help determine if the issue is specific to the Outlook client or the mailbox itself.

10. **Contact Support**: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it might be necessary to contact Microsoft 365 support for further assistance. They have the tools to investigate the issue more deeply.

Since you mentioned that this issue seems to affect emails from all Gmail accounts, it's likely not a problem specific to the sender's side. It could be related to settings within your organization's Microsoft 365 environment or the user's specific mailbox configuration.

Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back