Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Value selected from combo box not displaying

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbaddar

Programmer
May 10, 2001
US

Hi,

I have a problem with a combo box on my form. When I select a value from the dropdown it is not displayed. Instead, I end up with a blank line on the top line of the combo box.

Does anyone have any idea on this?

Thanks,
Mbaddar

check into the columns and bound column and column width properties of the combo box. It sounds like your columns widths may all be zero. Maybe it used to have more than one column and now it only has one?

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace
Designing, Developing, and Deploying Access Databases Since 1995

Take a look at the Developer's section of the site for some helpful fundamentals.

Thanks Jeremy,

I checked all those things. Unfortunately, none of them solved the problem I'm having. It's very strange. I tried deleting the combo box and reinserting but I had the same problem.

Mbaddar

Where are you getting the data for the combo box?

If you post some info here I'm sure we'll be able to tackle it...
recordsource of the form
rowsource of the combo box
the other properties I listed above

should do it.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace

Take a look at the Developer's section of the site for some helpful fundamentals.

Hi,

Thanks for following up on this. The record source of the form is a sql statement. Here is the sql statement:

SELECT IPODetails.Status, InquiriesOrders.IOID, InquiriesOrders.OrderStatus, InquiriesOrders.DateofInquiry, Clients.FirstName, Clients.LastName, Clients.HomePhone, Clients.Email, Clients.ClientID, Clients.CompanyName
FROM Clients INNER JOIN ((IPODetails INNER JOIN InquiriesOrders ON IPODetails.IOID = InquiriesOrders.IOID) INNER JOIN IPOClientDetails ON InquiriesOrders.IOID = IPOClientDetails.IOID) ON (Clients.ClientID = InquiriesOrders.ClientID) AND (Clients.ClientID = IPOClientDetails.ClientID)
ORDER BY Clients.ClientID;

The rowsource of the form is a value list. Here is the value list:
Auto Email Sent - Match;Auto Email Sent - No Match;Followup with Client to Confirm Initial Interest;No Longer Interested;Client Confirmed Interest - Call Staff;Staff Confirmed Interest - Call Client;Client Wants to Begin

The column width of the combo box is one inch. I didn't see the bound column width property.

Thanks very much for the help.
MBaddar

I'm about to go to sleep, so I won't get back to you until tomorrow, but it looks like there are seven items here. If that's the case, there should probably be only one column. Are you trying to have numbers in a first column and these values in a second column? If that's the case, it's probably best to have a table for these values, though you could also do your value list like this:
1;yadda;2;blah;3;etc.

In either case, if this is what you're trying to do, you would want to set the width of the first column to zero, so the users would see your strings, not the numbers.

I may be off track, but that's my best geuess right now. Write back if I've totally missed.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the response. I actually only have one column in my combo box (with the values I listed above, Auto Email Sent - Match;Auto Email Sent - No Match;Followup with Client to Confirm Initial Interest;No Longer Interested;Client Confirmed Interest - Call Staff;Staff Confirmed Interest - Call Client;Client Wants to Begin.

Is this incorrect? Should I have two columns?

Thanks,
Mbaddar

Hmm. That sounds reasonable, but I'm a little stumped as to why the value doesn't "stick".

Is the control bound to field of a different data type?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the response. No, the control isn't bound to a field of a different data type. The odd thing is that this is a problem that only occurs periodically.

Thanks for trying on this.
Mbaddar

Hello,

I think I found an explanation for this. The form that the combo box is on is based on a sql query. The sql query was not returning any data because there were no records in one of the tables. When the query began returning data the combo box problem was resolved. I'm still not sure why this would affect a combo box that was not bound to any fields. However, this seemed to be the problem I was having.

MBaddar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back