Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Value of multiple VLANs on access ports 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HungryHouse

Vendor
Oct 7, 2005
US
Many of you experienced Nortel users are aware that we can have a port be a member of multiple port-based VLANs on access ports with the 450s.
Since you still can have only (1)PVID however, what is the value of these ports "listening" on the other VLANs without being able to transmit? aka...what is the real value of the ports being in the other VLANs?

Any applications/designs y'all can think of, or have experienced that be appropriate/recommended for such?

Say you have a printer port on vlans 2,3,4. I want computers in these vlans to be able to print to the printer.

I do not want computers to talk to each other.

So from a port with a PVID of 2,3, or 4 I can send TO the printer.

Now how does the printer talk back?

Change it to PVID 5, and add all computers to Vlan 5.

Now everyone can print, and computers cannot talk to each other.

This is the way I see it, the printer could also be a server, etc...

Does that help??

: )

peace

Norteldude, excellent example.
I do see the point now....thanks very much.
I do have one follow-up question.

In your example, since you added all PCs to VLAN5, and now printer has PVID=5, then, couldnt we (shouldnt we) remove the printer from VLAN 2, 3, and 4?

Thanks again,

HH

The PVID determines which VLAN you talk over. The printer talks to the PCs over VLAN 5, but the PCs talk to the printer over VLANS 2 - 4 , so they are needed. The Printer is the ONLY device talking on VLAN 5, the others only listen.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Ah yes, good catch Jim...I forgot that in this scenario, each PC will RX and TX to the printer on different VLANs.

Sorry, no coffee yet this AM!

Thanks much,

HH

Question, in the example above. And someone goes into Vlan Port Configuration, and have the PVID for Vlan 2-4 Enabled. Does that mean that a workstation can talk over more thank one Vlan ?

And if so, um... what does the question line from Hungryhouse "Since you still can have only (1)PVID however, what is the value of these ports "listening" on the other VLANs without being able to transmit? aka...what is the real value of the ports being in the other VLANs?" mean.

I ask this problem, because I am having an issue of only ONE Vlan working. I am trying to do some simple firewalling of only letting the workstations talk to the internet but not the servers. But the workstations can talk to both the servers and the internet. Its a simple Vlan config, over a stack of five Baystack 450's

I was also finding the Nortel documentation somewhat lacking as was wondering if anyone had a great source for this kind of Vlan setup info/examples.

Thank you kindly,

Les Elton
Network Admin.

Lets assume every device is in VLAN 1 but only the Internet router has a PVID of 1, it is in VLAN 1, 2 and 3.

PCs which only need the internet are in VLANs 1 and 2 and have a PVID of 2.

PCs and servers which need to share locally are in VLANs 1 and 3 and have a PVID of 3.

If the Internet router does the DHCP or they all have static addresses, this should work.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back