Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Validation before executing query 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NKA

Programmer
Mar 20, 2002
NZ
I have an unbound form which the user selects criteria for a report output.

If the user enters a 7 digit number in TXT_Parent (an unbound field), I want to be able to check if the first 4 digits match any of the records in a table (TBL_SelCon) which is used for a (hidden at the time) combo box (CBO_ConList) on the form.

I tried the following:
if left((TXT_Parent),4) <> [TBL_SelCon]![Contract_Code] Then
Msgbox &quot;This is an invalid number&quot; blah blah blah
Else
Proceed.....
End if

An error message saying the table cannot be found - because it's not open I suppose? Would anyone know how I can get this to work or am I asking the impossible??

Many thanks

NKA

The answer's always easy - if you know it! ;-)

Hi!

Assuming DAO, something like this might be used:

dim db as dao.database
dim rs as dao.recordset

set db=db.openrecordset(&quot;Select Contract_Code from TBL_SelCon where Contract_Code = '&quot; & left(me!txt_parent,4) & &quot;'&quot;, adopendynamic)
if rs.bof then
msgbox &quot;Invalid number&quot;

rs.close
set rs=nothing
set db=nothing

Now, this is assuming the Contract_Code is text. If it's numeric, you'll need to change it to something like this:
&quot;Select Contract_Code from TBL_SelCon where Contract_Code = &quot; & cint(left(me!txt_parent,4))

Note - I haven't tested this, and if you're using Access 2000+, you'll need to go to Tools | References in any Module and check the Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library

HTH Roy-Vidar

Oups:

Saw after posting that what was supposed to be on one line, was wrapped to two. Pls put all of the following on one line:

set db=db.openrecordset(&quot;Select Contract_Code from TBL_SelCon where Contract_Code = '&quot; & left(me!txt_parent,4) & &quot;'&quot;, adopendynamic)

Or break it up like i e this

set db=db.openrecordset(&quot;Select Contract_Code from TBL_SelCon where &quot; & _
&quot;Contract_Code = '&quot; & left(me!txt_parent,4) & &quot;'&quot;, adopendynamic)

Sorry, Roy-Vidar

Hi NKA,

Try this if Contract_Code is a string/text:
If DCount(&quot;[Contract_Code]&quot;, &quot;TBL_SelCon&quot;, &quot;[Contract_Code]) = '&quot; & strLookUp & &quot;'&quot;) = 0 Then

Otherwise if it's a number:
If DCount(&quot;[Contract_Code]&quot;, &quot;TBL_SelCon&quot;, &quot;[Contract_Code]) = &quot; & strLookUp) = 0 Then

Bill

Hi Roy,

I forgot to refresh before submitting, your's should do the trick as well.

Good Luck

Bill

Hi guys!
Thank you for your help on this one - however, I have hit a brick wall [sadeyes]

Firstly, I am using Access 97. When I insert the code and check it, it tells me variable not defined with the adopendynamic.... oops.

Secondly, when I tried the other suggestion, that tells me variable not defined for strLookup.

Not being a whizz with coding - I haven't a clue how to fix either of them!!!

Cheers for your help [pc2]

NKA

Hi!

In Bill's code you'd probably put the following lines above his code:

dim strLookup as string ' declare variable
strLookup = left(me!txt_parent,4)

and follow Bill's advice with strings/numerics

I'm gonna check my syntax and report back

Roy-Vidar

Follow up: Aaarrrgh!

I've been mixing up different versions. Sorry!

Your version needs the:

[tt]dbOpenDynamic[/tt]

constant (adopendynamic is used in my version)

To make another correction: I should rather have suggested the dbOpenForwardOnly, not the dbOpenDynamic. The latter opens a recordset for &quot;manipulation&quot; while the first for &quot;browsing&quot;, and that's enough in your case.

HTH Roy-Vidar

Roy - You're a Star!

I am still getting an error message when I try to run your code - but Bill's works a treat - so that'll do me!

Thank you both - you can both have a star.

Cheers
[flowerface]

NKA

Uh-oh... something's still not right! I have changed the way I collect this information slightly, but do not understand why the code Bill gave me doesn't work (even after slight adaptation).

Rather than looking at a filtered recordset, I need to look at the complete recordset. User enters a 7-digit number (unbound text field called TXT_Parent). I need to check if this number exists in a field called PARENT_CODE (Table is TBL_TEMPCons).

If it does then open the report, otherwise message....

Can someone please advise where I've gone wrong and put me back on the right track? Many thanks!

NKA

Hi!

Thanx for the star!

I think it should be something like this:

[tt]If DCount(&quot;[PARENT_CODE]&quot;, &quot;TBL_TEMPCons&quot;, &quot;[PARENT_CODE]) = '&quot; & me!TXT_Parent & &quot;'&quot;) = 0 Then[/tt]

(all on one line)

If this doesn't do it, please consider posting your current code, where it halts, what errormessage/number if available.

HTH Roy-Vidar

Roy!!! Have another star! That hit the nail on the head a treat (after I removed the extra bracket in the code!!).

At last... cooking with gas.
Cheers

[wiggle]

NKA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back