Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Validation based on a query?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junior1544

Technical User
Apr 20, 2001
US
I have a form that i want to limit the input of a certain field. I want to be able to tell it not to accept a value that is already listed in a certain query... i can't base it on a table because then there will be dups... there are... the problem is that the table contains current and historical data. the query display's only the current data. If you need more info just ask... i dono if i'm being to clear, but can try to clarify if needed.

--Junior[thumbsup] Junior1544@yahoo.com
Life is change. To deny change is to deny life.

Hi :)

Maybe I have not understood ur problem...but why dont u build ur form based on the query of current records and then set the primary key validation rule on the form itself.

Maybe this will help u...

Cheers!
Aqif

I'm not the one who built the data base. I'm also a very novice user... So i don't know how to do that... But what i have is a inventory control database. I need to be able to issue an item. What i need to do is prevent the same item from being issued to multiple people. the table that holds that information also contains all the information from the last time the item was issued. The query i want to use the validation rule on brings up only items that are currently issued. That's why i need to run the rule against the query... I hope this additional information helps you help me...

again, please, i'm very new at this... thanks alot people.

--Junior[3eyes] Junior1544@yahoo.com
Life is change. To deny change is to deny life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back