Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Validating ZIP File

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbargsley

MIS
Nov 2, 2004
US
Hello all...

Every day I run a program that I wrote to check a directory and make sure I have a backup zip file from every site in my organization.

Here recently I have been having alot of issues where I have the zip file, but when someone needs to go and use it, it is not a valid zip file.

I would like to add some code to check each zip file to make sure it is a valid archive file.

Any code or help on this will be great.

Thanks
Garry B

Most zipping programs allow you to specify that the zip file is validated after it has been created. Have you tried that?

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

We use pkz.exe on our clients to create the zip file. I have a feeling that it is zipping up fine on the client machine, and failing during the FTP process. Some of our sites have iffy network connections and it is probably starting the FTP transfer, and getting a fraction of the way complete and then disconnecting, which leaves and invalid ZIP archive on my FTP server which is the file that people here in the office use.

Garry

I thought that pkz had an option to test the integrity of a zip file (not the same as validating on creation). Have you looked into that? You could run it to test the files after ftp.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back