Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Validating Schema errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
Mar 10, 2004
DK
Hi
I'am trying to validate my schema in xerces. However, I get the following errors. Can anybody help me solve them:

[Error] ITUblog.xsd:89:26: src-resolve.4: Components from namespace ' are not referenceable from schema document 'file:///C:/xerces/ITUblog.xsd'.
[Error] blog.xml:26:15: cvc-complex-type.2.4.a: Invalid content starting with element 'author'. The content must match '(EMPTY,EMPTY,EMPTY)'.
[Error] blog.xml:28:13: cvc-complex-type.2.4.a: Invalid content starting with element 'text'. The content must match '(EMPTY,EMPTY,EMPTY)'.
[Error] blog.xml:40:15: cvc-complex-type.2.4.a: Invalid content starting with element 'author'. The content must match '(EMPTY,EMPTY,EMPTY)'.
[Error] blog.xml:42:13: cvc-complex-type.2.4.a: Invalid content starting with element 'text'. The content must match '(EMPTY,EMPTY,EMPTY)'.

Here is my author definition:
<element name="author">
<complexType mixed="true">
<sequence>
<element name="name" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1"/>
<element name="email" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1"/>
</sequence>
</complexType>
</element>

My problem is that the author element either can be a simple element with only text or an element with only other elements inside it. How do I define that!

Thanks for any help
Rasmus

This might be one solution, although not exactly what you had specified.

author.xsd file

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xs:schema xmlns:xs="[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"[/URL] elementFormDefault="qualified" attributeFormDefault="unqualified">
 <xs:element name="root">
  <xs:complexType>
   <xs:sequence>
    <xs:element name="authors" maxOccurs="unbounded">
     <xs:complexType>
      <xs:choice>
       <xs:element name="author" type="xs:string"/>
       <xs:sequence>
        <xs:element name="name" type="xs:string" minOccurs="0"/>
        <xs:element name="email" type="xs:string" minOccurs="0"/>
       </xs:sequence>
      </xs:choice>
     </xs:complexType>
    </xs:element>
   </xs:sequence>
  </xs:complexType>
 </xs:element>
</xs:schema>

Sample XML file

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<root xmlns:xsi="[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"[/URL] xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="C:\add your path here\author.xsd">
	<authors>
		<author> Fred blogs</author>
	</authors>
	<authors>
		<name>This is a name</name>
		<email>name@somewhere.com</email>
	</authors>
	<authors>
		<author>Ivor Book</author>
	</authors>
</root>

Mike