Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

v9 database engine stopping -no apparent reason 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

karenannette

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2003
US
Hello,
Having an "issue" - any suggestions are appreciated.

Running windows 2000 domain controller and v.9 arcserve.

Each night after my arcserve runs, my database engine stops. If I am not here each morning to restart the engine, the next backup will not run.

I have been thru the brightstor logs, the only one I can see is (CAT) failed to login to BrightStor AB database (EC-2005).

I cannot see anything of note in my DC logs and I have been thru the setup on the backup jobs and don't see where it says to stop the engine after running. I have also rebooted my server.

I have been thru services and have 2 retries on an engine failure.

I'm stumped.
Can anyone give a clue?

Thanks!
Karen

HI,

Was this setup working before?
if so where there any significant changes made to the install? or the OS?

EC=2005 occurs when BAB isnt able to login to the arcserve DB.

CHeers
Speshalyst

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

I certainly hope it's not due to corruption. We are in the middle of a data upgrade and I'm down to the wire on this.

This seems to have happened after the latest batch of MS patches. Problem never existed before this.

The MS patches were the last change to the server. No other changes made.

At this point the backups "appear" to be good.

Thanks for suggestions!!! Keep 'em coming. I'm at wits end, or I need a clone NOW!

HI,

Can you verify if the RDS.exe is runnign when the backup is being performed?
If is not, from a command line, change directory to the BAB install folder and start the RDS.exe. Does it throw an error?

Also, in the BAB install folder, look for admin.exe , open it. On the Login Menu, login to the CASDB database(u might have to type this is manually as it would show RDSNP by default)as "admin". pwd would be "secret". if this does not work , you might have to investigate further.

Cheers
Speshalyst

So it Shall be Written!
So it Shall be Done!!

Ok, I just forced today's backup to see what's going on. I let it get to 9% and cancelled. RDS.exe is running while the backup is going. After I cancelled, the DB engine quit again. I restarted it.

Also, under admin.exe I try to log in and get a message. Velocis administrator - unable to get server connection - choice is to hit OK. It won't let me in.

Any further suggestions?
Thank you for helping me.

good chance it is due to database corruption.

to test
close the manager
stop all AS services
(ARCserve\database\del r*.*
restart ARCserve and test
if it still fails continue)
make backup copy of the database directory except for the r*.* files
either initialize the database or
install ARCserve on another system and then copy over this new database directory

If it now works the problem is due to database corruption. At that point you can either copy back the old directory and fix it or just leave it as is and merge in a tape if you need to restore from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back