Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

v9.0 .fdl files don't open in v10.0?? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugsb

Technical User
Mar 17, 2002
US
Hi guys,

I'm not a programmer... but I have to deal with this situation: we have a front end application designed for our business using Paradox 9.0 [basically inventory tracking etc.] and, unfortunately the company that did it for us went out of business last year...

I'd like to tweak some of the forms and queries/reports if possible... I have the Wordperfect Office 2002 Professional with the Paradox v10.0 in it. I tried to open some of these .fdl files from our database directory and v10.0 comes up with the following error:

"This delivered form was compiled with an earlier version of Paradox. You must recompile the source form with the current version."

Now, two questions:

1. Is it a good idea for me to spend time with this process? [I am hoping to learn Paradox 10.0 enough to be able to maintain and improve our database and its tracking etc., and I'm a fast learner, I think :)]

2. Will it make more sense for me to buy the v9.0 Developer's Edition? And, if so, where do I get one for a reasonable price?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Regards
bugsb

Check to see if the company included .FSL and .RSL forms and reports in the source code you *should* have gotten as part of your original contract. If you have these files, then you can edit them and recompile them into new .FDL and .RDL forms and reports. If not, you will have to re-engineer them. Either way, stick with the latest version of Paradox.

Mac
:)

Thanks a bunch, Mac. Unfortunately :-( I don't have any .fsl forms or .rsl reports in the directory. What I do have are the following types of files:

1. Three .dll files
2. Five .fam files
3. A bunch of the .fdl files
4. A bunch of the .rdl files
5. A Paradox library file [ .ldl ]
6. A bunch of the .db files
7. A bunch of .px files
8. Four .tv files
9. A bunch of .val files
10. Some .x** files [.x02, .x03, .x04, .x05, .xg0 and .xg1]
and
11. Some .y** files [similar to number 10. above]

Most of the .db files open in v10.0 and [I assume, therefore] can be edited... some .db files do not open and instead ask for a password.

All of the .fam, .px, .val and .x**/.y** files have the Corel system icon against them, and if you double-click on the file, you get a message saying it's a system file, and should not be messed with.

So, that's where I am... any further pointers?

Thanks again for your help,
bugsb

Bugs --

I just read about your predicament and noticed that you may get some assistance from a an interesting website I just visited earlier this eve. It's called
Search around in there and don't hesitate to go off on
some "sidetrips" should curiosity take you there.

There are a lot of tools that may help you solve anything from password problems to tables to a bunch of other things.

By the way, where are you located? I may be able to help you if you're in the Manhattan, NY area.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Good luck,

Stan

Those are support files for the *.db files and some library files. Well, there are Paradox password cracking programs that will allow you to get into the data in the *.db files. Most are DOS based and work pretty well (just type in 'Paradox' at the site Stan suggested). I assume though, that you can access your data through the original program. Have you considered contacting the owner of the defunct company and asking for your source code? You have nothing to lose at this point.

Mac
mailto:langley_mckelvy@cd4.co.harris.tx.us

Thanks Stan, and thanks again, Mac.

Yes, I'm able to use the program still... but there are lots of minor issues there that I want to address [things like field lengths and filed names to begin with], and I want to add some search reports.

And yes, I have tried to get the .*sl files from the original company, but unfortunately they have not been responding to any attempts at contact :-(

I did look at the zdnet site and came across the following password-finder programs:

1. Paradox Password Recovery Key v3.5.0
2. Advanced Paradox Password Recovery v1.0
3. CryptoExplorer for Borland Paradox v1.7
4. Advanced WordperfectOffice Password Recovery v1.0

They all destribute as demos that recover only the first 2-5 characters of the passwords, and cost around $30-$45 to become 'fully functional'. Any idea which one of these is worth the money?

And, coming back to my predicament: if there is no way to obtain the original 'un-delivered' forms, reports etc., what is the next best way to proceed? Should I buy Paradox 9 [and if so, will I need the WP2000Pro suite or the Paradox 9.0 Developer's Ed?] Also, what's the best street price for the required software? And, the fact that I already bought WP2002Pro doesn't help get any 'downgrade' discounts, does it? :)

Lastly, again, is it at all possible [with 9.0 or in other ways] to find and work with the objects of the original program?

Regards
bugsb

Well, once you can get the tables open, you will be able to restructure them as far as field lengths; however, 'renaming' a field may have serious consequences and I recommend against it without having access to the original code - even modifying field lengths may cause some of your reports to go screwy. Those search reports will be the only easy part, since you'll be making them from scratch - just build a QBE query for the table(s) you want data from, and construct a report based on the answer.db file that results from the query. You can save the query and run it and the report anytime, or try your hand at form or script building, incorporating the query and report. As far as the crackers go, email me and I'll send you a freeware cracker that 'may' work.
I think you should stick with version 10, since you already have it. I do not think there is any way to un-deliver those *DL files and make them usable. If you paid the original programmer for the source code, then I may have another idea, but you'll need to email me about it.

Mac
mailto:langley_mckelvy@cd4.co.harris.tx.us

Hi guys,

Just to report: I've now been able to open all tables, and now I'm waiting for my v9.0 to arrive so I can open those .*dl files... hoping that I'll be able to do something of a cut-'n-paste job to make 'new' .*sl files in v10.0 and take it from there... in the meantime, I'll spend all my available time to go through the tutorial in 10.0 :)

Thanks again for all your help so far!

Regards
bugsb

p.s.: If the v9.0 pkg I get is bundled with an 'Upgrade' edition of WordPerfect 2000 Pro, and if all I have on my system is WordPerfect 2002 Pro, will it install v9.0 seperately for me?

bugsb,

Just read your predicament, sorry that you are in that position, at the very least all of the code and undelivered forms and reports should have been lodged with a third party. I suppose you have learnt painfully by now that the fdl and rdl files are delivered forms and reports and cannot be opened in the design window or changed. Buying the version 9 dev. ed. is a good idea because that will at least allow you to view/use the the version 9 forms and reports and possibly build yourself copies with the functionality that you want. You also get v9 runtime so you can distribute unlimited clients for the version 9 application for free. I can't quite see what your gain has been from moving to v10.

In terms of restructuring that will be okay only so long as you add NEW fields or queries for you own purposes. Best NOT to change any of the existing fields in tables or adjust queries. Or you could have the programmatic equivalent of square pegs being captured for round holes.

Good luck.

Bystander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back