Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

V880 won't boot. Error "Enter Filename [kernel/sparc/v9/unix]

Status
Not open for further replies.

christhomas1977

Technical User
Apr 25, 2003
GB
Hi all,

Can somebody help.

We have just purchased a Sun V880 and am trying to install Solaris 8 on it. When I boot from the cd i get the following error.

Enter Filename [kernel/sparc/v9/unix]

Whay won't in boot into the normal installation procedure?

Even if I do a boot cdrom -s it still does it...any idea?

What am I suppose to enter at the [kernel/sparc/v9/unix] question? and how do I stop it doing it again.

I've tried the solaris installation cd and 1/2 and 2/2 solaris installation cd's aswell. They all produce the same error.

thanks in advance

Chris

At the ok prompt do you see the cdrom?

At the ok point, i'm not getting anything. i'm trying to do a probe-scsi-all but it just goes back to the OK prompt. how else can I check that the cd rom is there?

thanks

chris

finally got the probe-scsi-all to work, it reports the toshiba DVD drive as present.

any more idea's?

thanks

Chris

At the ok prompt you can issue a "show-devs" command which will display the hardware install.
You should be able to identify what hardware is installed.

Are you typing :
ok boot cdrom (with media one of two installed)

Sorry I didn't see your reply about see the toshuba cdrom.

Disregard the show-devs command.

What solaris 8 release are you using?
I thnik you need solaris 8 2/02

I am using the solaris 8 2/02 version. Yes, I am also using the "boot cdrom" command with the 01 of 2 media.

Thanks for any more suggestions in advance.

Chris

When you type in the boot command do you see the cdrom drive getting hit?
run probe-scsi and devalias and look for the cdrom.

Try booting using the long path.

Is there anothe sun box around so you can take the cdrom media and do a boot -s or boot cdrom and DON'T continue, this would test the media.

sounds like the eeprom parameters have been changed. power the box off then on, when you see the yellow tool light come on punch the reset button twice to get it to reset the nvram to default, hopefully, it will come right up.

You can always physically remove the CDrom cables and check cable select and cable connectors?
Reconnect and remember to do a boot -r.
You never know it sounds like hardware could be playing up?
Also do you have another copy of the Solaris Media?

Hi all,

Thanks for all your help.

The box boots fine when in install solaris 9, so it must be our solaris 8 media. I have ordered some more from our supplier. hopefully that should do the trick

thanks again

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back