Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

V880 RSC Adapter 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

durban56

Technical User
Oct 10, 2006
US
I need help!!!

I have a Sunfire V880 with a Romote System Control (RSC) adapter that is passwd protect. I dont have or know waht the passwd is.

Is there anyway for me to reset the adapter which will in-turn get rid of the passwd?

Thanks!!!

Dur...

durban56;

If you have a sunsolve account look at doc 47745.

Thanks

CA

Thanks a lot for the help cndcadams. The doc you pointed me to was very helpful.

Hello, I don't have sunsolve account but hade same problem can you post the doc ?

Thanks.

jccl2,

I dont know if what I pasted make any sense, but if you want me to sent you the PDF sent me an email address.

Keyword(s):RSC, password, passwords, forgotten, rscadm, HARDWARE

Description: Top

This document describes the procedure to regain control of the RSC card if the username or password have been forgotten and the RSC card is set as the console.

Document Body: Top

If the OBP is 4.15.0 or later, then the keyswitch can be put in the "diag" position to enable "service mode". Then, the system can be power cycled or reset remotely to force output to ttya. See SRDB (Symptoms and Resolutions) document 79449 for more details on this.

If the OBP is earlier than 4.15.x, then follow the steps below:

STEP 1:
Access the system as root to create a new RSC user. If root can login
into system remotely then proceed to Step 2.

If root cannot access system remotely and RSC is currently the active
console then the only other way to gain access to the system console
would be through ttya. However, because RSC is configured we would need
to change the system's output and input devices back to their default
settings. Setting these defaults can be accomplished by using one of
the following two methods:

* Method 1:
After turning on the power to your system, watch the front panel wrench LED for rapid flashing during the boot process. Press the front panel Power button twice (with a short, one-second delay inbetween presses).

Notes:
The above procedure temporarily overrides certain nvram parameters to their default settings.
The original values will be restored after the next hardware or software reset.

* Method 2:
Remove RSC card. By removing the RSC card, the output and input devices will forced to ttya. For information on how to remove the RSC card, please refer to the Server Owner's Guide.

When the system is at the ok prompt, manually set the input-device and output-device parameters back to ttya. Once this has been done,the RSC card can be re-installed into the system. For information on how to install the RSC card, please refer to the Server Owner's Guide.

With both methods, when the console is on ttya, boot the OS and log in as root.

STEP 2:
a. Execute the following 3 commands in order to create a new RSC user with full permissions:
/usr/platform/`uname -i`/rsc/rscadm useradd <username>
/usr/platform/`uname -i`/rsc/rscadm userperm <username> cuar
/usr/platform/`uname -i`/rsc/rscadm userpassword <username>

Note: You may need to delete an RSC user if there are already 4 existing RSC users defined.
b. Reboot the RSC card.
c. Log into RSC using the login and password created in Step 2a.
d. If you used method 1 in step 1 above, you will have to reboot the system to allow the RSC card to be used as the console again.
e. If you used method 2 in step 1 above, then you will have to return your input-device and output-device to "rsc-console" to set up the console as the RSC card again and reboot.

It is advisable to check that the login created in step 2a works prior to re-enabling the RSC console.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back