Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

V480 w/ Solaris 9, boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponetguy2

MIS
Aug 28, 2002
US
Our V480 w/ Solaris 9 would not boot properly. After recreating the LUNs on our StorEdge A1000, and then performing a reboot, the machine just keep cycling through the boot process. No error messages, it keeps trying to reboot over and over again.

Any ideas?

We managed to do a stop+a and get into the ok prompt. Once we got into ok prompt, we did a test-all to check if all devices are okay.

Next step is to try to boot to single user mode from ok prompt:

boot -s
or
boot cdrom -s (if we need to)

You might want to setenv auto-boot? false at the {ok} prompt to stop it rebooting continuously. It might make troubleshooting a little easier.

Annihilannic.

If you boot cdrom -s and it comes up with out a problem you have a software issue. If it reboots when booting cdrom you have a hardware issue.

Thanks

CA

it's a hardware issue. i did'nt notice this error message:

"ERROR: CPU RED-State Exception Reset Recovery"

I can't believe i missed it. we will check the cpu and memory and decide if we need to replace the cpu or memory. i do suspect it's the cpu, as the error points-out. after we do that, i will need to update the kernel patch and obp firmware.

thank you again for all the great advice.

Red State Exception is most likely a hardware problem- I believe it is the CPU telling you there is an external hardware fault (by external meaning external to the CPUS-

In my experience, it usually means bad memory, or possibly a problem with one or more memory slots on the system board, or even somnething more internal to the system board.

At what point during boot do you see the error? If it is during POST (prior to loading OS) then that usually isolates the problem to cpu, memory and system board. On older systems liek Ultra2s I've seen it occasionally from a bad NVRAM- but I'd start by looking at the memory first, then the system board, then the CPUs (I don't think I've seen a red state exception that traced back to a cpu, but I can't rule it out as a possibility)

If you have the time to do it, minimize the system down to a single bank of memory- if it comes up clean, populate the second bank and see what happens on boot, and so on until you find which bank is generating the error. At that point, it's probably best to just replace the whole bank because it isn't really worth the amount of time it will take to isolate it down to one memeory module- especially conssidering that you may have more than one bad module in the bank.

Vincent Esposito

thank you for the advice Vincent. I'll give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back