Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

V480 RSC reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

01backuper

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2006
A2
Anyone managed to really reset an RSC card on a V480 or a V280? I can "talk" to the parallel port with a laptop, but what are the detailed steps to reset the rsc??

Hi - I might be misseing the point here when you say "really reset an RSC card" but.....

login into the rsc port on the rsc card
user login is 'rscdam' (you might need a password)
type 'resetrc' ....will reset the rsc card.

Hope this helps.

My problem goes like this:

The rsc cards have been user/password protected for a long time. The systems administrator has long been retired (for medical reasons)and no one seems to know the passwords.
Thus, i have two servers sitting with their rsd cards locked.
This means that i can't reset them that simple..
So, i was wondering if there is a way to do that from within Solaris, or any other patent/utility for that matter.
I've read some documentation from SunSolve but it does not seem to be effective for my models.
If this helps, the rsc cards have two types of batteries on them. One is a motherboard-like pill-shaped battery (smaller in diameter than the mobo ones) and the other is a pack of NiCads that connects to the board with a small plastic jack.
Although i've removed both, used the board without them, or even replaced them after hours, the login dialog behaves the same.
Hope someone knows more..

My problem goes like this:

The rsc cards have been user/password protected for a long time. The systems administrator has long been retired (for medical reasons)and no one seems to know the passwords.
Thus, i have two servers sitting with their rsc cards locked.
This means that i can't reset them that simple..
So, i was wondering if there is a way to do that from within Solaris, or any other patent/utility for that matter.
I've read some documentation from SunSolve but it does not seem to be effective for my models.
If this helps, the rsc cards have two types of batteries on them. One is a motherboard-like pill-shaped battery (smaller in diameter than the mobo ones) and the other is a pack of NiCads that connects to the board with a small plastic jack.
Although i've removed both, used the board without them, or even replaced them after hours, the login dialog behaves the same.
Hope someone knows more..

Hi,
did u try the following:

/usr/platform/`uname -i`/rsc/rscadm userpassword <username>

Thanks,
smishra

Hey smishra,

That is a procedure you can use after installing the rsc software, which i have allready done. However, there is a minor detail, and a catch in it:
You can only issue such commands as long as the rsc card is plugged-in. The uname commands make the changes to the rsc cards when they are installed. If i try to install the rsc card the system won't even boot. It goes as far as the Hello World, and that's it. I have to either find a user name and password that works, or a way to hardware - reset the card...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back