Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

v3.12 purge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prew

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2001
US
trying to help some folks with a 3.12 server thats running out of space. they sort of zoned out, when i asked if a purge has every been run. i moved away from novell few yrs ago and am leary of shelling them out to dos to run the purge /all. i know i did this on my 4.11, but i don't know if it is an ok thing to do in 3.12.

soooo...yes?...no?

prew
(visualize an animated jumpy around thing at this point...seems to be the craze)

Hi,

There should be no issues with it. They will need to be logged in as Supervisor or equivalent and have a mapping to the root of the volume.

Lou

Although purge will clean up the deleted files, it shouldn't make any difference to Netware. I don't think you'll actually gain any space this way.

Iolair MacWalter

thanks for the quick responses, felt sure it was ok, but sure wanted to check it out first. and on the space issue, it did make big differences in the past. if i remember right, first time i ran it, there were kabillions of salvage files, and they do all take up space.

thanks again, appreciate this place eversomuch!

prew

There is a file called Purge.nlm (do a google search for it -- it's not a Novell util) which we used on Netware 3.x servers. You can schedule it to run in the background (we used to set it to run at 8:00pm every night) Works like a charm.

thanks itsp, will look...however, i talked with them, they do have the purge.exe under public, better or worse? and and...trying to remember if it has to be run from console/rconsole, or can it run on workstation...proper rights understood. would like to have them run it, until i can talk them thru adding startup nlm's.

Purge.exe is run from the client side. They need to have the Novell client installed on their machines in order to make it work. The beauty of the NLM is to have it run in the background and not have to rely on a user to run it. This holds especially true is you still have print queues that fill up the SYS volume constantly.

i will definitely walk them thru the nlm. its the print queues that im concerned about at the moment. i've seen how full that gets.

thankseversomuch itsp....think some of the cobwebs in the novell side of my brain are clearing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back