Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

v11.5 Library initialization takes few hours. Unless

Status
Not open for further replies.

janit

MIS
Feb 2, 2006
CA
Hi. I've got two drive Dell LTO2 library. Should I restart server, reset the library or simply put in a bunch of tapes the initialization takes forever. If I import tapes one by one it kinda works quickly. Otherwise tape engin is sitting at "updating" even though the serial numbers of tapes are showing. I have updated to the latest and gratest, but this still happens. The reason I started patching is that the restore of a 4 tape job would fail. That test restore has a problem with a session that spans through tape 2,3 and four. It stops at some point asking for the fourth tape. Even though the tapes is there it fails eventually. My gut feeling is that those two issues are somehow related.
I am using SQL DB. Is there a way to reinitialize SQL DB to clean state ?
Thx a lot for any suggestions.

Yes I did. I did another couple of test restores. Selecting more files and giving more timeout for next media in the restore options seems to work. However I need to test it a bit more. All of this takes forever because of the initialization of tapes after any reboot etc. Thx for your reply. Will post more info asap.

How do you connect to the library/drives?
Is there a switch or anything in the path?
If so, check these as well as the relevant CA/OS Device patches.
We have found DART version/configurations on NAS filers can cause this when NDP is in use and that switches with unvalidated firmware also.

If barcodes are showing up in the device display for each slot, but the tape drive is still reading each tape to get the header to confirm, then it is usally one of 2 things.

Run Device config for the library and triple check that a check is place on BARCODE READER Installer. (It can still read the bar codes if it is isn't checked, but having it use them requires the check box)

Make sure the login name and account for the SQL database is a valid user who has rights. Go to Server admin, on the file menu for configuration and check SQL Account.

Phil Gordemer
ARH Associates

Well, thx for reply. However there is no activity on the library. Only it takes forever to get the tapes info. I got so cheesed I deleted the SQL DB and recreated new one. Imagine my surprise: jobs are still there (?). Where are they stored ? There used to be in the asjob db with the VLDB but only in a table, I believe, in M$ SQL. SQL account must be good since I was able to create new DB. If job info is stored locally then what else ? Called CA, they were supposed to call back. Never heard from them again. Backup Exec anyone ?

Explanation for the above: No activity on the library - means nothing happens on the library, no movement or signs of life whatsoever. I can even see serial numbers of all tapes in the device tab, however the little tapees are turning forever saying "updating"..

Once jobs are submitted into the queue they are found in the directory BrightStor ARCserve Backup\00000001.qsd.

Did you disable the library and drives from within the OS Device Manager?

When the assignment of the drives to the library is not in the correct order there will be problems with the Tape Engine’s ability to control the tape library. Typical symptoms are: drives not showing up indented under the library in the ARCserve Manager Device window, slots staying on updating, unreadable media, drives marked as offline, failure to load tapes.

Just running Device Configuration again will not correct this, first the old configuration has to be cleared out. To do this run Device Configuration and on the split screen window were the drives show up under the library select each drive and click Remove. After that click Exit to close the Device Configuration utility and then the next time you run it the drives should be correctly assigned to the library.

It is also possible there is some other problem which is resulting in the drive assignment being done incorrectly. Although this is not the place to deal with the subject here are some suggestions on things to try:

Disable the tape library and tape drives from within the Windows OS Device Manager.

Power down the server, power cycle the library, after it has finished initializing restart the server.

Double check the cabling to the library and drives.

I think these are excellent ideas. Will try asap, after finishing test restore. We did move some data from the old Mammoth 2 tapes, speaking of horror stories, to LTO2. Will let you know. Just wondering where would the info about the devices be ? Registry ? I was thinking about total, clean reinstall. The software drives me crazy and the online support...is not existing.

Windows reports info on devices mainly in two places,
OS Device Manager, & System Information report.

you must be looking some place other than the CA support site because I find the online support is far from not existing, that is figuring when you write "and the online support... is not existing" you are referring only to CA because Tek-Tips.com does qualify as online support for ARCserve.

Yes of course, I was referring to CA. BTW did all the recommendations above and more. Still the same issue. I guess reinstall would do it. Thx

Janit,
remember that there are a number of things that could be happening.
1. Have you updated the firmware on both the drives and the library?
2. Have you updated the firmware on your server, specially for the SCSI card
3. Are the SCSI connections correctly installed? Terminated? Have you checked the cables for bends?
4. Not only SP2 has to be installed you might want to install the device update. This is a MUST.
5. Are you getting error messages at POST?

Hope this helps.

Haven't been able to do much about the problem lately. However I did update the firmware on the Library and drives. I didn't update SCSI card. The interesting thing is that I de-selected the library quick initialization in the device wizard, which I would think should force re-read of all media during restart/reboot. This does not happen. The next step would be 39160 SCSI card firmware. Thx

Hi.

We suffered the same problem, long library initialization. Our trick to speedup the init after server or library reboot was delete "Tapeengine" key from registry (under HKLM/Software/Computer Associates, etc, etc), because only reconfiguring the library doesn't help.

We saw that the initialization hangs filling a key named BARCODE under TAPEENGINE. This key has some values with all media barcodes of blank tapes. ArcServe try to read from DB these barcodes and of course fail because media are blank.

After appliying SP3, the library initialization is ok again.

Regards.

While replacing failed mobo for the second time in a month on a Dell 2600 I accidently pulled the floppy during ESM firmware update. The process disables keyboard, so I couldn't press Retry, ignore, fail :-( . That was Good Friday. Dell guy called tech support and they sent another one in about hour and a half !!! Wow ! Anyways, while waiting I downladed BAB 11.5 Service Pack 3. Installed it and voila. The thing works like a charm. If the library knows the serials of tapes the Brightstor picks up the list in less then a second. It looks like the installation of the SP3 basically backs up the configuration and then uninstalls Brightstor. Then it reinstalls using the config. Anyway it did the trick.
Thx everybody, you definately gave me some excellent tips. Thx a bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back