Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoughboyII

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2001
US
I have a problem and have been searching for a solution maybe you guys can help.

I have a PC at home that is no longer working properly, I have a legit copy of Win XP Home Edition (Nice and Sparkly with the logo) However I have misplaced the paperwork that came with the computer and don't have the Key. I don't want a key generator those don't work most of the time, but I was hoping there was a utility that could scan my CD and find the Real Key Code.

Does this utility exist?

No it does not.

The key code is not on the CD. The CD's by type (OEM, Retail, etc.) are perfectly generic.

Thanxs for the help I guess I need a better key generator.

I tried safe mode but get the same blue screen of death upon boot up.

What would be a good key generator then?

Just call Microsoft and explain to them what happened and most likely they will issue you a new key over the phone and it shouldn’t cost anything.

Also what happened to your PC to make it crash? Have you tried booting to the last known working configuration? When you turn on the PC hold down F8 to go to Advance Booting Options and you will see that listed as one of the options. If you can boot to that then you can use that program bcastner mentioned to locate your key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back