Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Utility to count restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

FergADT

MIS
Dec 30, 2002
US
Does anyone out there know of a good utility to put on a Windows 98 machine that will keep a counter for how many times the machine has been restarted? Preferably it would be a utility that could generate a report (or that I could grab a report from accross the network)...

Any help would be much appreciated...

You can roll one yourself with a quick batch file:

Code:
@echo off
echo PC Booted at:
echo.|date >> C:\BOOTUP.LOG
echo.|time >> C:\BOOTUP.LOG
:end

and call this from Autoexec.bat, so it gets added each time the machine boots up. You then have a text file with the bootup date and time.

You can then count the occurrences of "PC Booted at:" with any text editor to work out how many times it has been rebooted.

John

That would work -- looking for something I can report off of in a network environment, though..

I appreciate it .. I'll use that but I'll try to find something that provides reporting options too :)

Thanks...

John

you'll have to have admin rights as well as a shared directory on the w98 pc to get the data you seek...or at least have a common directory on the server where you both have access to, so that the information could be written.

If that pc has QBASIC loaded (may be c:\command or c:\windows\command), I could help you write some code, if you have no luck finding a pre-written program.

If you choose to use QBasic, you can preformat the report to your specs.

What's your pleasure?

--MiggyD

hrmm.. I don't have QBasic loaded on the PCs (it's for an entire call center that I support) - they do all have access to a shared drive, though, from which I run batch files, etc, on all affected systems -- I could push QBasic to the workstations (no install is necessary, just needs qbasic.exe and qbasic.hlp somewhere on the workstation if I remember correctly). I could have a file created by each PC based on its system name and pushed to a folder on the shared location...

BeenThereDoneThat:

That link is to the [red]home page[/red]. You'll have to click on the upper-left navagation frame and click on "download programs"...then scroll down to find it

Or, to avoid all that, simply click below

Kudos to you for finding something, anything that may help.

FergADT:

You will still have to "count" the number of times the system was turned on (either manually or creating a program to do that automatically). However, take a look at it. You could probably create a batch file to copy those "list.txt" file it generates to your system.

--MiggyD

I tested it and it worked great on a single workstation to a shared network drive. The management team scrapped the idea they had that required this, however, so I didn't end up deploying it... but thanks for the helpful tips :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back