Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Utilites to view unread messages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2002
US
Hello All,

Does anyone know of any good utilties to view all the Exchange 5.5 mailboxes and see how many unread messages are sitting in each users Inbox.

We would see that as a flag for a non active mailbox and can assist with cleaning up of old, non used accounts.

Thanks.

Dave

'view all the Exchange 5.5 mailboxes' is a potential breach of privacy law.

Message statistics can be obtained easily with Mailbox Manager

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

Unless I am mistaken, it is only a violation of the privacy law if it is not disclosed to the end user that the e-mail system is owned by the company. and that their mail is subject to inspection at any time. This is disclosed to the user at the time of their employment. But thanks for thinking of my users first. :)

Is Mailbox Manager a part of Exchange 5.5, or is it an add on such as from a resource kit? I am not familiar with it.

that's why I mentioned 'potential'...

Mailbox manager is to be installed seperately, it is on the CD in the Misc section if I am not mistaken, otherwise, \ENG\SERVER\SUPPORT\MBMNGR\SETUP\I386\SETUP.EXE

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

If you want to find inactive mailboxes, why not just view the Mailbox Resources (under Private Information Store) in Admin - this will display the last logon time for the mailbox, you should be able to spot mailboxes that are not being logged into. In fact this will only work if you're NOT running Mailbox Manager, otherwise you'll see the regular logons that MM uses to clean the mailboxes as well as real user logons, so you can't then tell which mailboxes aren't being logged onto by real clients.

Well, since we use brick level backups of our mailboxes, each mailbox shows activity via that method, as it shows the backup service account (which is used to back up each individual mailbox) as being logged in last. So, no matter how inactive a mailbox is by the user, it will still show being accessed nightly.

That's why I was looking for the utility to see the unread Inbox messages. That would be the flag to mailbox inactivity for us.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back