Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

/usr/ucb/cc: language optional software package not installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

nfaber

Technical User
Oct 22, 2001
US
I am getting this message when I try to run a make on the Tk perl module.

I have gcc installed, the path to gcc is before the path to cc in my $PATH variable, I have created a symbolic link from cc to gcc and I have set my env variable CC=gcc. I have tried all the above in different permutations and varieties and have searched the web FAQ on this forum and this forum itself before I posted this. I am running Solaris 2.8 on a Sparc5. I am untaring the distribution in the /temp direcotry and running everything from there.

The install says to:

perl Makefile.PL (runs fine, no errors)
make (bombs with the eror mentioned)

I am at my wits end and ready to reinstall everything from Solaris up but do not want to waste 2 or 3 days doing this.

Please help.

%-(

I checked the cc script and it seems that this is the default error message if /usr/ccs/bin/ucbcc does not exist, and on my computer it does not!

What is /usr/ccs/bin/ucbcc and where do I get it?

Hi
This will work ok if you link ucbcc to your gcc command.
For example, if you installed gcc into /usr/local, then the
gcc command will be in /usr/local/bin.
ln -s /usr/local/bin/gcc /usr/ccs/bin/ucbcc
Then if you have /usr/ucb in your path, you can use the cc
command.
Good luck
John
John Philcox
Mobile Ventures Limited UK

Thanks for the reply jephilc, I tried that. Now I get the following error messages.

cc -c -I.. -I/usr/openwin/include -I. -Ibitmaps -I/usr/openwin/include -xO3 -xdepend -DVERSION=\"800.024\" -DXS_VERSION=\"800.024\" -KPIC -I/usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/CORE tkUnixMenubu.c
ucbcc: unrecognized option `-Xs'
ucbcc: unrecognized option `-KPIC'
ucbcc: language depend not recognized
ucbcc: tkUnixMenubu.c: linker input file unused since linking not done
ucbcc: -lucb: linker input file unused since linking not done
ucbcc: -lsocket: linker input file unused since linking not done
ucbcc: -lnsl: linker input file unused since linking not done
ucbcc: -lelf: linker input file unused since linking not done
ucbcc: -laio: linker input file unused since linking not done

Any ideas anyone?

You've already done all I would have suggested. Where did you get gcc? Did you get it from sunfreeware? If not, try theirs, maybe the pkgadd command sets some enviromental stuff for you. You definitely don't need to re-install the OS.

Rename the /usr/ccs/bin/cc file and force ur system to take GCC as default compiler.
/usr/ccs/bin/cc inturn calls ucbcc and thats why u r getting this error.
Even if u hav updated the path variable, the cc is being called somehow. so try removing those traces.

Regds,
- Hemant
Networking and Systems Integration Group
Satyam Computer Services Ltd

Hemant,

Thanks for the reply. My questions is how do "I force my system to take GCC as default compiler"? Do I edit the Makefile.PL?

ln -s `which gcc` /usr/ccs/bin/ucbcc

might work.

otherwise, yes you will have to edit the Makefile.

When you run the configure script it looks for either cc or gcc. What I would do is remove the full path for cc and replace it with the full path to gcc. Also, after you have done all of that you should be able to run a "make clean" in the directory where the Makefile is to clean out any attempts you have tried previously.

May not work, but worth a shot.

J

Solaris assumes that c programs are compiled with cc ... if the Makefile doesn't specify a CC it might just try to compile using the unspecified 'cc'

matters how well the Makefile/Makefile.in scripts were made together.

Has anyone installed a Perl Module before? Is a C compiler always required. Im trying to Install MIME: LITE and during installation I noticed that the make program is not anywhere to be found on our Solairs 8 box. What are the steps that needs to be taken for our Administrator to install this module with the least frustration as possible?

Thanks!!!!!

Did anybody have a final solution to this problem?

I am in the exact same boat and sinking fast!

Help..... :(

Make should be in /usr/ccs/bin
To get around the compiler problem you could rename cc (to wascc for instance ) and use the full path for gcc or even link /usr/local/bin/gcc to the origonal location of cc
(/usr/ucb/cc maybe )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back