Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USR Total Control Modem Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossbow

Technical User
Dec 15, 2002
US
I recently purchased a used USR total control modem rack with 12 Quad Modem cards, 1 T1 card, redundent PS modules, and one NMC / NIC interface module. The problem is that I can not communicate with the NMC in any shape or form and would like some advice.

I checked my Bay Networks managed switch that the NIC plugs into for a MAC address on startup but there was none for the total control rack. I can tell that it is recieving broadcasts on that port but the rack is not transmitting anything back to the switch. The NMC passes the POST and I get a 10BaseT connection (layer 1) on the switch, but that is about it. I don't believe it is getting any layer 2 or higher information back out of it.

Soooo.. My thoughts are that the NIC is bad, but could it be a switch setting on the Management module that could do this? or something else?

Crossbow,

Have you programmed the NMC through the console connection on the card? If not
you will need to use a null modem adaptor going to the top port on the NMC back card. Use hyper terminal or something like that set to (9600 8 N 1) and it will bring up a menu and you can set your options from there.The first menu has 3 options ...use the first option . From there you will need to set the LAN IP address and mask the gateway and make sure you save it . You may then need to power cycle it before it starts to work correct.

I tried with the null modem cable, but the connection isnt a standard one like Cisco's etc.. so I had to make one up based on some info I got at another site. I still have yet to get ANY conversation out of it. I had to replace the NIC in the back with another one because it wouldn't even return the MAC address. I then was able to get a MAC back (read it from my switch port), but then it still didn't communicate at all. I then bought another NMC to see if that would do it.. still nothing. Perhaps the data on the rs232 port on the NIC is wrong.. dunno. I have yet to get it to communicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back