Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USR Sportster Model 0484 voice/fax modem compatible with Win 2K pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M5wannabe

Technical User
Jan 7, 2003
CA
On win'95/98 the modem supported distinctive ring for incoming faxes. Now, on Win 2K professional the modem works, but setup does not offer selection of distinctive ring. I think its because Win'2K identifies the modem as a model different from what the actual model is. Does anyone know if there is a driver update that will cure this? The actual number on the bar code sticker is 66174900 (i.e. model 1749, which is an OEM model). Why the model is called 0484 on the printed circuit card and 1749 on the label doesn't make sense, either!

Try 3com or driverguide.com for another driver.

Thanks for suggestion. I have partially solved the riddle - the modem is a USR 'Access' product & the driver was found there. However, it does not solve the problem of setting up the modem on Win'2K. The PnP search on Win'2K automatically selects a USR modem that does not allow Distinctive Ring to be set up. I am new to Win'2K & cannot find a way to switch the modem over to the COM port that the modem hardware jumper is set up for. Win'2K keeps wanting the modem on COM1, but the hardware is set up for COM3 & works there, except for the ability to program for Distinctive Ring. COM1 shows busy as it must be connected to another device, but there seems to be no fscility to change it to COM3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back