Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using XP without a Data Collector

Status
Not open for further replies.

JH24

MIS
Jun 18, 2001
GB
Once a Zone has been set up with a few Citrix XP Server's in it, is it possible to change the Zone so that it does not Use a Data Collector????

I want all the Servers to connect Directly to the Data Store as having a DC is just another point of failure.
There will not be many servers in the Zone so a bottle neck should not occur on the SQL Server that has the Data Store.

Thanks

James

I would read the Citrix XP admin manuals off the Citrix site if I were you.

Think you've got a bit confused as to the various roles!!

I have had a look on the the Citrix site and from what i can make out is that there are two connection options.

1) Direct connection, where you dont have a Data Collector and all the Servers access the DS directly to get all relevent information for its Local Host Cache.

2) Indirectly where a Data Collector is used to access the DS, the the Member Servers then get all the relevent information off the Data Collector and not the DS to store in the Local Host Cache.

The problem i have at the moment is that when the Data Collector is off line, no users can connect to a Published Application.

Sorry if i am miles off line but just trying to get my head round this.

I am afraid you are a bit confused about the serverroles, as Strongone implied. Every Zone MUST have a datacollector, which keeps all the dynamic data in the farm (load data, connection info and so on). The Data Store only keeps the static data (published apps, licenses and so on). The problem you describe when the datacollector is off line will only be prominent if you use indirect access to your data store, or no other servers in the zone is configured as possible DC's. If you use direct access to a Data Store on MS SQL, as you describe, there will be an election for the DC role when the current DC is down, and another server will take over the DC role. In other words, the only Single Point Of Failure wil be your SQL-server, which you can cluster, as we do.
Hope this will clear things up

Best Regards
Morten Stårvik
Egroup Online
Norway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back