Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Windows Update after SP2 installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

sargietek

MIS
Jul 17, 2002
GB
Hi all

Are any of you guys out there having trouble running Windows Update after installation of XP SP2? None of my client machines (that's twenty of them)will run the thing! They either flatly refuse to download the found critical updates (when using Windows update manually, Download it but fail to install it (when Windows update is set to download the updates but prompt before installation) or (when running in full auto mode so as you don't get that stupid annoying bubble) download them, starts to install and then just hangs on "creating system restore point" for hours & hours with no error messages nor nothing. I have searched all of Microsoft Knowledge Base articles (ashtray on a motorbike) other forum sites (solar powered torch) & asked everyone i know (parachute that opens on impact) can anybody offer any usefull addvice please?

Cheers

Sargie

Honestly, no.

What does the windows update log in %windir% say as an issue, or a screen error message, or Event Viewer?

After trying the SP2 update myself, I ran into similar problems. I then downloaded the full SP2 update and installed it manually. Now my updates work correctly. You might give this a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back