Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using VPN to boot Windows 2000 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacca

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2000
US
HI,
Hopefully there is a solution to this.. When I am out of the office and I need to reboot 2000 server or NT 4.0 server
using PCAnywhere 9.2 After the initial reboot I need to do
a ctrl-alt-delete to log on. When I try to do this my
task manager comes up - I cannot get it to do a ctrl-alt-del. for the server so now I cannot log into the system until I have someone do it for me of I have to come into work...
Is there a way around this......

Thanks.
Elizabeth

I was not able to find any documentation on this, and as I do not use the product, I could be wrong. I would find it hard to believe there is not a way for PCA to pass keystrokes along.
I assume you have already looked in the documentation, and done a help search from within the program. If you do not get an answer from someone else here, give Symantec a call, and I'm sure they know how it is done.

Just to spit this out, we use VNC for remote control in our organization, and have had minimal troble with it. It lets you pass common keystrokes through, and also lets you poll full-screen. Not as robust as PCAnywhere I'm sure, but hey, it is free!
When I have needed to do remote reboots, VNC has hung up a couple of times on the shutdown, but 2 in 50 or so a year is not too shabby.

Good luck!
>:):O> anongod@hotmail.com

"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing."

Hi,

We use PCAnywhere 9.2 where I work, and you CAN send the cntl-alt-del keystroke to a host machine.

If you look at the top row of buttons in pcanywhere (once you are at the login screen for your host computer) you should notice a red + icon. It is near the right side, 3rd icon in (I am doing this from memory, bear with me). Hitting that send the cntrl-alt-del keystroke to your host machine.

Hope that helps.

-Sarekai

Just an additional tip for pcAnywhere. Be sure that when you reboot the remote server that you are using the pcAnywhere 'Reboot Server' button at the top of the screen and not the Start>Shutdown>Reboot option on the server. pcAnywhere may not start properly upon reboot if this is not done correctly (You may already know this, but I just wanted to pass it along...).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back