Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Voice& data on CAT5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I need help in running voice and data on my CAT-5 cabled home which has only ONE OUTLET IN EVERY Room

I have:
1. A "Hub" (Bell atlantic Ready system) in my basement from which CAT-5 Cables run to every room. Each end at the "hub" is RJ45 and it terminates in a RJ45 jack in every room.
2. I am told I can get 4 Tel #s into the home. I am currently using only 2
3. I have DSL ISP whihc will give me 4 Static IPs

I would like to:
A. Use build a small home network within the home which Shares data and voice
B. Split the four lines such that I can use them at every outlet

My Questions:
a) In order to use the 4 Static IPs do I HAVE TO HAVE A ROUTER OR CAN I MAKE USE OF THE "HUB" TO CONNETC UP?
b) How can I get more than 1 telephone line working on a single jack in every room. I DO NOT WISH TO BUY a 4-line TELEPHONE IN EVERY ROOM.
c) I go the Home Depot and buy a 4-outlet wall jack plate, open up the RJ45 connection in each room and wire up 4 outlets? (SOMETHING TELLS ME THIS IS A NO-NO)

Please help

Bhushan

If you have four static IP's...You dont need a router, provided you only have 4 computers...
If you want to save some money, and dont want to pay for all those IP's...get a router, and run a propietary network; such as 10.0.0.0 through 10.255.255.255. There are several blocks of reserved IP addresses. These IP's are for private and experimental networks, and are not used on the WWW. Linksys makes a small inexpensive router that will do this quite handily. It includes some firewalling features as well.
The router will translate your privately adressed computers to your single real world IP adress.

A standard telephone line only uses two wires, I have never tried it, but I think you could run four telephone lines off of one Cat5 cable. Try it and see what happens...

If i get it right you want an ethernet and a phone line to each room throu a single cat5 utp cable
It can be done.
ethernet use only 4 wires (2 pairs)
phone usualy use 2 wires (1 pair)
and you ll have 2 free (1pair)
I have tried it and works even at 100Mbits ehternet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back