Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using VFP7 on VFP8 Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSDESIGN

Programmer
May 11, 2003
US
I have VFP7. The client has a VFP8 application requiring some support work. Can I use VFP7 to open the VFP8 application, to open the tables, and to recompile as a VFP7 application? I know I should buy VFP9 but I need to put it off as long as I can...

One approach is to determine the problems in VFP7 using a copy of the application and then, if needed, obtain a copy of VFP9 if there is a project.

Thanks for the support....

simply compile/build a copy of the project and see if you get any errors. Then test thoroughly.

If the VFP8 app did not use VFP8 features, you're good. But that's doubtful. If you can't afford an upgrade to VFP9 (price 350 USD), then are you doing this for less or free?

VFP9 availability won't last very much longer from MS, after that you depend on what boxes shops have in store.

Bye, Olaf.

SSDesign

Can I use VFP7 to open the VFP8 application, to open the tables, and to recompile as a VFP7 application?

Not if the the VFP 8 app uses features that weren't available in earlier versions. You should check the VFP 8.0 Help file, and especially the topics "What's New in Visual FoxPro 8.0" and "Behavior Changes Since Visual FoxPro 7.0".

Also, keep in mind that the client will have the 8.0 run time system installed. If you are able to recompile in 7.0, you will need to install the 7.0 runtimes in order to execute it at the client's site.

Mike

Visual FoxPro tips, advice, training, consultancy
Custom software for your business

It was said in the german newsgroup. Sometime within this year, VFP9 will not be available as a retail version from MS, you will only find it in the MSDN subscriptions, minimum Professional subscrption.

Bye, Olaf.

Where there may be changes is in the SQL language syntax.
If any query is giving you trouble use this

Code:
If version() # "Visual FoxPro 07"
  set enginebehavior 70
endif
to set the query behavior to the more open SQL flavor of VFP7. Use this before the queries to avoid conflicts.

In case SET EXACT is ON ...
Code:
IF "Visual FoxPro 07" $ VERSION()
  SET ENGINEBEHAVIOR 70
ENDIF

(fixing my prior post, sorry)

In case SET EXACT is ON ...

CODE
IF ! "Visual FoxPro 07" $ VERSION()
SET ENGINEBEHAVIOR 70
ENDIF

falconsight, dbMark,

you're both missing a point: SSDESIGN is trying to downsize a VFP8 app to VFP7. SET ENGINEBEHAVIOR was introduced in VFP8, VFP7 does not need SET ENGINEBEHAVIOR 70, as it has the 70 engine by default and only the 70 engine.

I stay with my recommendation: Simply try to build the copy of the project and see if that errors, then test thoroughly. There is a chance a programmer did use VFP8 but is only working with code functionining in vfp7, too, especially if the programmer only had VFP7 knowledge or even only VFP6. But the older the app the more doubtful that will be, as you learn to use, appreciate and need new VFP features.

A Build will surely tell you the places that VFP7 does not understand, it might miss some, as you know VFP can do macro substitution and that code only will show it's VFP7 compatible at runtime, besides Execscript(), code in memos executed by execscript() eg.

Bye, Olaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back