Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using VFP for multiple inserts into MySQL database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil Toulouse

Programmer
Mar 18, 2002
GB
I have written an upsize routine in VFP to upload data to SQL Server, which works fine. Basically I create a MEMO of 200 INSERT INTO statements and SQLEXEC() them in one go, so, for example the line would parse as:

SQLEXEC( nHandle, 'INSERT INTO table VALUES (1);INSERT INTO table VALUES (2)')

...which works fine. If I adopt the same approach with MySQL, I receive an error on the second INSERT, indicating that there is an issue with the ';'.

I have obviously got around the problem with just parsing single INSERT INTO statements, but shouldn't it work? All the MySQL documentation indicate that it will accept multiple statements with ';' separating them.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

I posted a similar thread in the MySQL forum but have yet received no replies!

Let me know what you think...

Yes, ; doesn't work like what is expected. MySQL accept ; as a terminator of a sentance. Certainly VFP (may be the fault of MyODBC driver, not VFP) will not operate in perfectly the same way. I suggest you not to use ; in ANY sql passthrough statement.
Actually I also find some problems in GRANT ON *.*. Using MyODBC, it seems that the privileges are not probably granted.

Thanks for the info HDC!

I would guess at it being the ODBC driver too.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to change my code to get it to work with MySQL.

Oh well, keeps me off the streets as they say!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back