Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using VB to save an excel spreadsheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBelyea

Technical User
May 29, 2008
US
Hey everyone -

I've got a script that cleans up a spreadsheet I have, but am running into trouble when I try to save it.

The source that I get the spreadsheet from saves it in a format that, while it says its .xls, isn't really .xls. I can open the spreadsheet fine and do all of the cleaning I need to but, I but want to be able to force it to save the file as a specific file type (.xls).

Here is my current (relevant) code:

Code:
Dim excelPath
Dim objExcel

Set objExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

'where is the Excel file located?
excelPath = "C:\All Fields Report.xls"

'Save and exit
objExcel.ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs excelPath

I can't seem put any arguments in the SaveAs line of code beyond the filepath... any ideas?

Thanks!

The SaveAs method has several parameters to it, and FileFormat is the second.

Have you tried something like
Code:
  objExcel.ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs (excelPath, [FileFormat])

I've only used the target name on the SaveAs method, so I don't know what values are recognized for the FileFormat. Maybe one of our more experienced members can give us some guidance on that...

GhostWolf -

I think I was just putting the wrong data in there. I had tried it with the following:
Code:
objExcel.ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs excelPath, "fileformat:=56" 

objExcel.ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs excelPath, fileformat:=56

..and discovered that the proper syntax for it is (using the proper file format as well):

Code:
objExcel.ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs excelPath, -4143

Problem solved :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back