Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using uuencode but..

Status
Not open for further replies.

yimin

Programmer
Nov 20, 2003
US
I am using uuencode to create attachment and send to other users. As this,

uuencode temp.txt temp.txt | mailx "email adresses"

I do receive the email, but I don't see the attachments, instead I see the encrypted file.

It seems that Outlook could not see it's an encryption. I tried do the samething from a friends Unix server. It worked perfectly.

Just curious what do I have to do to make sure mine works.

Thanks for the help!

The mailx command does not handle MIME and attachments -- it is doing exactly what you ask it to (mail the output of uuencode). What's missing is the MIME information that lets Outlook know you're intending it as an attachment, rather than message text.

Check on and I am sure you will find several command-line tools to send uuencoded (or Base64-encoded, the usual MIME encoding format) files as attachments that clients like Outlook will recognize.

As you are a programmer, if you don't mind writing a hundred or so lines of code, check out the RFCs for MIME (available at -- the MIME basics for attachments are pretty simple. Just a couple of RFC822/2822 headers and a couple of content separator lines.

Cheers,

~kj

Mpack does a good job of sending mime encoded attachments, and it's free and freely available for most OS's.

IBM Certified Confused - MQSeries
IBM Certified Flabbergasted - AIX 5 pSeries System Administration
MS Certified Windblows Rebooter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back