Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

using UPS for motor load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacbk612

Programmer
Mar 23, 2008
CA
Hello everyone, I would like to purchase a UPS to operate a large garage door motor on a multi-unit building. The motor is a 120V AC 370 w load. I am told that 2 things need to be considered: the motor requires a pure sine wave and the in-rush current of the motor must be dealt with while on battery operation. I believe one can purchase a pure sine wave output UPS and if I could estimate the motor in-rush current then I could buy a UPS big enough say 2200 KVA to handle the in-rush current, is my reasoning correct?

2. How can I estimate the in-rush current?

Thanks,

Jacques

Hi Jacques,

Normaly you would need to calculate the startup current 6 x In

So you have 120V - 370 W so appr. 18.5 Amps.

Frans

Hi Frans, yes it semms that 6 to 7 times is a good figure. I have put in my system and it works fine, I can upload a schematic if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Jacques

I wound up buying a power inverter instaed of a UPS, the power inverter provides a modified sine wave which is good enough. Also a power inverter is much cheaper per watt than a UPS.

J

Good decision.

Always good to save a few Euro's or in your case dollars?

Frans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back