Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using Two Drives: 1 for Vista and 1 for Win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

3dColor

Programmer
Jan 10, 2006
US
I picked up Windows 7 today and a new hard drive. Right now I am waiting for my computer to format my new 1TB drive (taking about 4 hours).

My thought is to install Windows 7 on the new drive while still having my C: drive loaded with Vista. Then I can boot to whichever OS I want and take my time setting up Win7.

I purchased the Win7 Home Premium "Upgrade" version. My question is how can I install Win7 on the new drive if their is nothing there to upgrade from?

You can look at these possible options.

Get Vista upgrade, never pay full price

Clean Install From Upgrade Vista

You could install Vista on your new drive (if you have the DVD), do not enter any Product Key, or select any Activation choices. After the Vista install completes, you could then use your Windows 7 to do the upgrade.

The method Linney suggests will work but legally, if you've purchased an upgrade licence, you must use it to replace an existing installation - i.e. whatever it's upgraded from is not supposed to be used any more.

Oh, and you don't have to full-format a new drive, a quick format will do.

Regards

Nelviticus

Thanks for all your suggestions, I will give that a try and report back.

Just a note about what Nelviticus said.

If you were running Windows XP there might be do reason to do so, especially if you have Home Premium (which if I understand correctly doesn't have XP Mode) but Windows 7 will certainly run anything that Vista will.

I have been running W7 plus XP for months but once I installed W7 I have had no reason to even go back to XP.

Everything runs great and I have not found anything that there aren't drivers for.

No office should have anything less than Professional if legacy apps are important to you. XP Mode works pretty well.

VirtualBox or VMWARE is still needed by IT pros though.

Sorry that should have read "What SteveLord said". LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back