Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Using TransferText instead of manually File, Get External Data, Import 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBendBuckeye

Programmer
May 22, 2002
US
If you bring in a comma delimited file manually, it gives you the option of naming fields, etc while stepping you through the process if the input file does not have column headers specified.

Is there any way to do that when you use DoCmd.TransferFile? It seems to just name the fields based on data in row 1. I would like to override that if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

Have a great day!

When you do it manually you can save it in a Spec. You can pass the Spec to TransferText, Spreadsheet, etc

What do you mean by passing the Spec to TransferText? I've got a couple of huge text files (500MB each) with a lot of columns, unfortunatelly layouts of those files are slightly different. I don't want to make it manually, so I'd like to preper a proper spec file for every text file and import data that way. When I save specifications, where are they actually saved, I cannot find the folder. If I knew the spec file layout I could preper one by myself. Pleas help me if you know how to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back